Blue West Campground

Pad Type dirt

Elevation 3,051 ft / 929 m

Max Stay 14

View Map
portable computer displaying map of camping locations
mobile device showing map of camping locations
Roadpass Pro
Signup for Roadpass Pro to get premium access to all of these great road travel apps.
Unlock pro campendium features
Ad Free Experience
Cell Service Overlays & Reports
Public Land Map Overlays
Trail Maps
Filter by Elevation
Pro icon Join Roadpass Pro

Q&A - Ask the Community about Blue West Campground

To ask questions of the owner or manager please contact the campground directly. 806.857.3151

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Blue West Campground

Reviews of Blue West Campground 2 people have reviewed this location.

AT&T 4G
Last reported 10/12/2020
sjf5530
sjf5530
State College, PA
“Fantastic Views”

Reviewed 12/14/2020

On a calm day, the wind is not very strong at all. I was in a tent and had no issues. The views are incredible and many of the sites have a nice table at the least. Alibates Quarry is a worthwhile drive through.

sjf5530 would stay here again

“Most terrifying night of my life”

Reviewed 10/12/2020

So let me start by saying that coming into the lake is gorgeous. You have to go through a neighborhood and you’ll probably think your going the wrong way, but your not. Once you get into the NRA there is free dump and fresh water which is great. We called ahead of time and we were told that blue west would be our best bet for privacy, and due to covid that’s what we wanted. The lady at the visitor center though very nice played down the wind up in blue west. We were told if it’s windy you may not wanna camp up there, and that was it. When we got there there was little wind that dies down in the evening and the weather said no wind for the rest of the week. So since the other camp sights fritch, etc. had rigs in them we went to blue west to check it out and found a gorgeous spot on the right towards the end of the camping area before the boat ramp. It was a small dirt path into the plateau area that had a great view of the lake. The wind was not bad so we set up camp. That’s the good, now let me get to the rest of it. Around 8-9pm we started to get a little wind which quickly turned into 50+ mph winds on top of a plateau in a camper, bare in mind the weather said no wind advisory at all. Like I said the wind quickly picked up to the point I honestly felt we were near a tornado, but it was pitch black. I opened my rear camper door, that flew open pulling me out of my camper, and the wind stole my mother f’ing shoe. I had to fight to get back into the camper and shut the door. I had a solar panel strapped flat to the hood of my truck, with two 800lbs ratchet straps and the wind tore that from my truck. My family was able to get into our truck through the rear window and evacuate the area. It was 20+ miles of the most terrifying driving out of there I have ever done and I used to drive big rigs for a living. We had to take a long route because the rest of the routes went over a dam and I honestly felt that we would be blown off the dam if we went over it. Multiple campers had to evacuate the area and not a single ranger came to tell anyone to leave. While I was driving I had my wife looking for tornado warnings (which there were non, Thank God) but there was a severe wind warning with like I said 50+ mile per hour winds. If we were in a tent there is no doubt it would have been blown off the cliff. I used to drive big rigs, and I am an ex law enforcement officer, I cried that night after we made it out because I truly thought I might loose my family, I told my family I loved them as I was being roped out of my camper by the wind. I cannot speak for the other campsites but “blue west” is dangerous. No one will ever convince me that angels were not with us that night, because I was steering left just to stay in the road, and my family is alive now only because of God and his angels.

AT&T 4G

Be the first to add a note for Blue West Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Blue West Campground!

Have you written a blog post about Blue West Campground?

LNT _Proud Partner-Charcoal Created with Sketch.

Chimney Hollow Primitive Campground

I think you need a 4x4

- whitney

Fritch Fortress Campground

Perfect Place For A Nights Stopover

- camper-752395

Harbor Bay Camp

Fritch is a sketchy town

- Noah_Robinson