Four Mile Flat Quarry

Klamath Falls, OR 97601
541-883-6714
541-947-2151

Pad Type: dirt

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Thumb us avatar
Van-Tramp
Longmont, CO
27 Airstream International
“Stayed only a single night, it was OK”

Reviewed Oct 25, 2016

SubaruVagabond pretty much nailed the review. We did not experience the yellow jackets, but we arrived late in October. It's a no-frills place and obviously a place that others frequent (lots of signs of recent campers). While it is a nice place and all, there is better free camping in the area at Odessa and Malone campgrounds.

SubaruVagabond

Subaru Outback

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

“Nice Forest and open boondocking”

Reviewed Aug 26, 2015

This spot was almost entirely very nice. The only reason I left after three nights was due to swarms of yellowjackets attracted to my car. I imagine that those would be less of a concern with a larger vehicle, but it kept me from being comfortable staying there. This was late August, at a time when I hear they are quite active in this area; if yellowjackets are a concern, this may be a better spot for a time when they are less active.

Some tips about getting there: Google Maps wanted to tell me to turn on Mountain Lakes Drive when coming from the East, but that road was gated and did not give access to the area. National Forest Development Road 3651 (the first right after Mountain Lakes Dr coming from the east) is the actual desired route to take--there are signs for Cold Springs Trail Head pointing down that dirt road. That dirt road splits early, with the left going to the Cold Springs Trail Head and the right going towards the marked boondocking. When it splits again, there is a board with dispersed camping information, including current restrictions, etc. There is camping on both sides, but I found the largest spots while exploring the roads to the left.

Some spots might require 4WD, but others should be fine without. Spots also range in size from very small to quite large. Some are entirely dirt, and some are more gravel. It's pretty easy to get a level spot in all of those.

I found some spots quite littered with trash, but other spots were very clean. I liked one spot that had a little bit of litter that I cleaned up, but I spotted a couple of spots that were significantly more littered. I didn't get total solitude while I was here, as people drove through on occasion, but it was very quiet. Verizon was excellent throughout the area.

I liked this spot a lot, and I'm a bit bummed that I left over the yellowjackets, which is something I usually avoid doing. It's a beautiful spot in the forest, easy to position for solar panels but easy to get good shade from the trees. The actual quarry area isn't particularly notable for anything, but I enjoyed it. There is some cool lava flows and other old volcanic activity to check out in the area, which I really like. It's also an easy drive to Crater Lake.

about Four Mile Flat Quarry?

• Dispersed Camping

Aspen point campground
Aspen Point Campground
Rocky point resort
Rocky Point Resort
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Lake of the woods resort
Lake of The Woods Resort