Question about Nomad View Dispersed Camping

Chris asked on 8/9/2020

Can I get here with a rear-wheel drive vehicle? I am taking a road trip across the west in my Hyundai Kona and wondering if this place will be accessible.

Yes, accessible by 2WD

Answered on 8/11/2020:

If it is not too wet and/or you are careful picking your line, you should have no trouble. We did it in a 2WD, rear drive van.

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Absolutely! You shouldn’t have any trouble at all. It’s an amazing place. Enjoy!
Voyagers On Wheels
Sioux Falls, SD 33' Winnebago 2008 Voyage

Answered on 8/10/2020:

2 concerns: 1 is that if it rains it could be a problem getting out. Getting in would be a no-brainer as it would probably not be possible. The other is that it can be very windy. We watched a couple with a tent and a cat, first struggle to put the tent up, them tether the tent to the car and finally give up and sleep in the car. If that's all you plan to do them it's fine but the buffering of the winds may rock you a lot.

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Like most people said, if it’s dry you should be fine. We didn’t experience any rain while we were there but I can imagine the rain could make it challenging.
Thumb win 20140811 134417
DMR
Jordan, MN 13' Scamp Trailers 13' Standard Chevrolet Truck

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Yes 2 wheel will work my truck is 2 wheel drive only and we pulled a scamp camper. Only thing to watch out for is rain the mud is realy slick.

The road isn't that bad as BLM roads go. You will be fine I believe

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Yes. There are a few ruts and potholes on the dirt trail/road in, but you can just drive around them.
Gundog
Box Elder, SD 30' Keystone Laredo 274RB Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD diesel

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Might consider not trying if rain is in the forecast. Mud can get pretty deep, especially on the entrance road.
Thumb busdog
PookieAndTheBear
38' Fleetwood Pace Arrow 1977 Volkswagen Bus

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Yes, but make sure it hasn't rained in a day. It gets really muddy and the mud is like thick grease.
Thumb 23830402 7cad 4df1 b1e6 55d91c7e4919
marchelle
Danville, IN 24' Forest River Wildwood LE Dodge Ram 3500

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Check the weather forecast first. If it hasn’t rained you’ll be fine! It’s a dirt road easily accessible by car, but if it’s rained, it’ll be muddy!

Answered on 8/10/2020:

No problem! I drove my 38’ Class A right up there.
Thumb img 20150530 172307
1bike
Minneapolis, MN 22' Roadtrek 210 Popular

Answered on 8/10/2020:

If its dry it should not be a problem. This place gets pretty muddy if there is rain.
OGGWild
OH 30' Outdoors RV Black Rock 23BKS Ram 2500

Answered on 8/10/2020:

If it isn't or has been raining, you will be fine, at least from what I saw less than 2 years ago
Thumb texas
On the Mewve
York, SC 30' Forest River Wildwood Ford F-250

Answered on 8/10/2020:

As long as it hasn’t rained you will be fine but it gets real slick after a good rain.
Himmelbus
Ham Lake, MN 40' MCI MC9

Answered on 8/10/2020:

Yeah, as long as it's not muddy, you're fine.
Ufronia
Keystone summerland Ford f150

Answered on 8/17/2020:

The Kona being a front wheel drive car you should be fine as long as it's not wet. we were there in July 2018, their wettest year on record. Going in, DRY, out 5 inches of MUD. NEEDED a 4 wheel drive out...
Thumb 2011 miscellaneous  1589
OneAddictedTraveler
Lake Elmo, MN 24' Pleasureway Plateau FL

Answered on 8/14/2020:

If it's dry most any vehicle can negotiate access.

Answered on 8/11/2020:

Thanks so much everyone for your help!!! I feel so much more confident now!
We need your help!
We depend on the support of the community for maintenance and development of the Campendium website. If everyone who visits Campendium today gave $1.50 we would hit our goal. Learn more about the 2020 Campendium Fundraiser all the ways you can support us: Subscribe Donate Purchase