Sully's RV Park

Max Length: 50 ft

Thumb 1926935 606505542753672 1849089407 n 420x420
Nathan @ Wand'rly
14' Volkswagen Bus, Champagne Edition, Riviera Campwagen
“This is exactly what I think all RV Parks that get a 3 should be...”

Reviewed Oct 16, 2015

...that being said 3 ain't bad. It's just absolute average. Exactly what this place is.

Let's review some of what the very friendly manager told me while checking in.

"Hello?" I was already set up as she wasn't due to arrive until 4pm. My dog started barking as she approached the Airstream's door.

"What breed is it?" She asked as I told our dog to be quiet and lay down. Poor dog hasn't stood up in two years. Anyway, I told her she was a chocolate lab.

"Not a pitbull, right?" I had already answered so we moved on.

"You go first," she lead me to the office, a permanent trailer in spot 6, "I'm smoking."

I smoke too, so don't care, but found that funny. Entering a building first somehow prevents you from getting second hand smoke.

We discussed niceties, and she was very, very nice.

"So your plates are from Texas, your license from Pennsylvania, but you've got an Oregon address on your credit card?"

"Yep, I'm complicated," I think any chance at marriage was off right then and there. Luckily, I'm already engaged.

"Here are the rules," she charged me $30. A damn good rate is say, exactly what I hope for at a private park with full hookups in a cute town but otherwise unremarkable area.

"Dogs on a leash, pick up after them, that sort of thing. Do you want a bathroom key? If you want a bathroom key, I'll tell you there are about 20 other hunters," all of which I guess were unable to read the 5mph speed limit signs. I told her only the ladies would be using it. "Oh well we keep the women's room very clean. And the water is hot. But it's women only. And girls."

Clarification is always nice.

"Just one night?" She asked. "I think so," I replied. That's how conversations work, after all.

"Good 'cause we're booked all week," there are only 5 overnight spots. The rest are permanent residences who keep their sites very clean, and some mobile homes that may or may not be part of the official park.

"You got the wifi password. And it is fast," which it wasn't, but it was good enough. "There's no AT&T service here at all," which there was, "but Verizon, T-mobile and U.S. Cellular work great." Verizon was good enough to stream video. She began to go on a bit long about US Cellular and how great it works in San Francisco. I stood up and inched toward the door. She followed me back to the site.

"Make sure your van isn't on the grass, no loud noise after 10pm and don't leave out any bait." I figured she meant for raccoons or something.

"We haven't had many thefts but someone did steal a bike a year ago. The police recovered it in an hour, but they told us to tell you not to leave your wallet out. Lock up your bikes." You know, no bait.

The kids and the ladies went over to a playground a block or so away. A city park across the street was a perfect dog walking area. Our spot had a small grass patch and a tree. Water pressure could knock the cap off a beer bottle.

I ventured into town to find some sundries. A hotel boasting a coffee shop and bar (which wasn't open at 3pm, if at all) seemed to be the mainstay of Main Street, and a Mexican restaurant and a bunch of galleries convinced me that this town could be cute enough to explore a bit more than we did.

Did I mention how nice the RV park manager was? I made sure to lock up our bikes and take our chairs into the house. As an experiment though, I left a half pack of cigarettes out. No vagrants visited our spot that night, at least none that smoke.

about Sully's RV Park?