Nichols Lake

3988 West Wildwood Avenue
Bitely, MI 49309
231-745-4631
231-775-2421

“*1 STAR*Please read full review for clear picture”

Reviewed Sep 14, 2018

This is a nice campground with paved slabs for every site that are very level (some minor leveling may be need). Every site seems to have plenty of room for tents and any gear you might have. There is 1 single vault toilet right off the handicap boardwalk to the beach area. There is also a men’s and women’s flush toilet and men’s and women’s shower ( with a coin operated 30 gal hot water heater) next to the camp host site (near the front of campground). The camp host mike seems like a nice guy gave me some fire wood the night I got here. They also have a self pay firewood stack and ice cooler between bath house and camp host. The ice as of 8/07/18 is $2 and firewood is $7.
This place is busy though, I had a reservation for site 19 starting on a Monday. There was three other sites filled. By Wednesday 1 person had left and 3 more sites were filled. I choose site 19 based on the pictures I would somewhere and it looked private however, upon getting here the fire ring area is in full view of the site behind me I could see everything my neighbors were doing. Not to mention there is a path that people walk from the boardwalk through site 19 & 17 to get to the road (even though there are 2 other paths to take that don’t have you walking into someone else’s space).
The beach is nice but no dogs are allowed (not even to hang out by the picnic table). The dogs are not allowed on any beach within this forest from my understanding. I watched the host drive his golf cart down there and almost immediately someone was walking their dog back up.

Overall this is a nice campground and I am giving it 4 stars based on everything nice about it. However I like a more secluded less state park feel so for me personally based on my preferences alone it gets 1 stars. I knew when I made reservations this place was listed as heavy use. What I could not find on the net was how open the sites are to your neighbors. Also not shown on the reservation site is all the paths that cut through your sites. I have stayed at in the middle of the woods passed where I felt more relaxed and safe. So there you have it based on your wish list for a campground you my review as you see fit either 4 stars or 1 star.

If you would like to see my video walk through of this campground it is available on my YouTube channel by following this link: https://youtu.be/wg-ZoaAdmIA

about Nichols Lake?