Camp May

Greg - Sock Monke...
Los Alamos, NM
20 Nissan NV 2500 High TOP - Homemade Camper Van

Greg - Sock Monkey Trekker would stay here again

“Camp May - A correction”

Reviewed Sep 30, 2015

I wanted to make a correction: There is a fee to camp at Camp May. I think it's in the range of $15 and you have to pay the county. I would call the county 311 line for information. You have to have a permit from the county displayed at the campsite. You get them at the Larry Walkup Aquatic Center ... 2760 Canyon Road. Call to verify nothing has changed first. There is one spot that I believe you could get a decent sized RV into. It is steep to get up there but I think a good truck without 4x4 could do it. The dirt road is in pretty good shape. I've also seen RVs in the ski area lower parking lots that are just below Camp May

Thumb img 20170525 140118 001
John & BJ
Mesa, AZ
19 Scamp
2017 Ram 1500
“OK for a tent”

Reviewed Aug 11, 2015

Located past the parking lots for the ski area, and 1700' higher than when you turned up the road from town, you'll find the Cape May camping area. It features a VERY steep and rutted gravel drive, very small sites - only one of which is large enough and level enough to handle a normal sized modern RV - IF YOU CAN GET THERE. If you're towing, you are absolutely going to want 4 wheel drive, even when it's dry.

There are three modern outhouse buildings scattered around the area, a couple bear proof garbage cans, with metal tables and metal fire rings at each site. If you really have your heart set on staying here, I'd drive it first without the RV to see for yourself if it will be possible with your rig. I know I couldn't get there with my trailer.

I'm giving it a single star because zero stars makes it look like I skipped over it.

Thumb 100 6739
Sock Monkey Trekkers: RV Sites in Los Alamos County, New Mexico

Updated: 5/27/14 Here where we live in Los Alamos, New Mexico we have a bunch of local RV sites.  I thought I would go through them all in case folks would like to bring their rig up to explore the...

Camp may road
Juniper family campground
Juniper Family Campground
National Park
Los Alamos, New Mexico
White rock visitor center rv parking
White Rock Visitor Center RV Parking