River Park

TigerNomad
Sun Valley, ID
Provan Astro Tiger XL
Site Number: B
“Depends on your tolerance for sketchy behavior...”

Reviewed Jan 24, 2017

Stayed at the River Park in Lompoc for one night on my way up the California coast.

The sites are flat, level, and big enough for the big rigs. There are no pull throughs. RV sites have full hookups ($30/night). My rig is tiny, so I camped in the tent area. My price paid ($15/night) reflects the tenting price.

Now the good: the RV park is well maintained, tidy, and is attached to a park with a pavilion, grassy fields, a fitness park, playground, etc. Most sites, even those of semi-permanent residents, were tidy, too. It's spitting distance to the beautiful re-built La Purisima Mission State Park.

The not so good: through the night "muscle" cars cruised up and down the campground, revving through the speed bumps. I found this annoying, though tolerable. On weekend nights you can expect to see some partying. But the kicker, for me, was waking up at 4:30AM to blasting bass music. I opened my curtains and a car was parked near the entrance all doors open, blasting (and I mean blasting) rap music with all their lights on. A person in all black repeatedly exited and entered the car. This went on for a good half hour without interference. I never saw the camp host or resident park ranger, though the sound was far too loud to escape notice. After a half hour the car sped multiple times through the campground then (mercifully) left.

I have a pretty high tolerance for sketchy campground behavior, but this one got even my heart racing a bit.

So, in summary, the park was affordable and acceptable for a one night stopover, but I can't imagine returning.

about River Park?