Red Rock Pass

208-904-3419

Pad Type: grass
Open Seasonally: Yes
Max Stay: 14

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

T-Mobile 4G/LTE
SubaruVagabond

Subaru Outback

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

“Beautiful, secluded boondocking until it's overrun”

Reviewed Jul 28, 2017

I stayed here 4 nights. If I left after the first 2, I'd give it 5 stars. I arrived Monday night and found a spot tucked into some trees, which was clean, basically level, secluded, quiet, and wonderful. I loved it. It was exactly what I was looking for. Even the Verizon and TMobile signals were happily useful LTE (not the best I've had but good; streaming worked and everything).

By wednesday afternoon, I began to notice an uptick in traffic coming up and down even the side road I was down. The noise increased. Enough other campers came in and setup right by me that I pretty much lost all semblance of great privacy I was enjoying, and they began running generators regularly throughout the day/evening. And the internet became progressively slower. By Thursday night and Friday morning, I couldn't rely on internet at all (I ended up driving into Rexburg to get on a conference call requiring internet for work, because I couldn't even browse the web any more, let alone do streaming activities).

Maybe I was just there on the wrong week. It looked like more than a couple of big get together were just getting started as I left Friday morning. So I only docked it one star for the bad experience. It would have easily been 5 in my book otherwise, and I'm assuming this kind of multiple big get-togethers don't happen every week (a couple had signs and everything, so I bet they were some special thing going on).

Basically, if you get here and it's not too busy, this spot can be awesome, though. Fairly easy to get a spot that's reasonably level enough (some of you might use the levelling blocks and all to get it just right in some spots, but I wouldn't expect it to be to bad in most beyond that). Views aren't particularly amazing, but it's still a pretty area.

Cows. There are cows. But they're just cows. I didn't go a day without seeing some guys on OHVs having fun, but I wouldn't complain about them at all. It wasn't a bother.

Hopefully everyone else has generally better luck than I did on this one! I'm keeping it in mind to try again in the future, hoping for that better luck myself. Maybe I'll get to come back and revise this with less negativity about it.

T-Mobile 4G/LTE

Thumb mikekristin
4000 Rivets
Pocatello, ID
27 Airstream International Signature

4000 Rivets would stay here again

“Great spot in the trees, 30 minutes from Yellowstone entrance”

Reviewed Jul 17, 2017

2 miles off of Highway 20, just off of Red Rock Rd., tucked into the trees are some relatively quiet, very easy-access, level boondocking spots, close to Henry's Lake and Yellowstone National Park.

The positives; it is very easy to get into...offers both shade and midday sun (plenty for our solar panels)...there was lots of wood to collect and fire rock rings scattered here and there. It's 20 minutes to the town of West Yellowstone and just less than 30 to the West entrance to Yellowstone.

We had 3 bars of Verizon without our booster going, except for one evening when it just disappeared for a bit!

The negatives; It's an open range area so you might get visitors periodically, of the bovine nature, but they are pretty friendly and mostly pass through here looking for water and shady spots. The little runoff of water running through the back end isn't what you'd want your kids to play in as it's a favorite drinking hole for the cows. And there is a off-road track that runs parallel along Red Rock Road so you will likely hear and see some 4-wheelers and motorcycles now and then, but honestly they weren't awful (and we didn't stick around during the days much).

We enjoyed our stay and will be back whenever passing through this area.

about Red Rock Pass?

• Dispersed Camping

Bootjack
Bootjack
BLM
Henrys lake state park
Henrys Lake State Park
Island Park, Idaho
Red rock rv and camping park
Red Rock RV & Camping Park
Island Park, Idaho
Valley view rv park island park id
Valley View RV Park
Sawtelle mountain resort
Sawtelle Mountain Resort
Bill frome county park
Bill Frome County Park
Island Park, Idaho
Jareds wild rose ranch resort
Jared's Wild Rose Ranch Resort