Red Haw State Park

Reservations yes

Elevation 951 ft / 289 m

Q&A - Ask the Community about Red Haw State Park

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Red Haw State Park

Reviews of Red Haw State Park 2 people have reviewed this location.

Last reported 9/3/2018
Thumb img 20180729 143511 787
Jeff512
Altoona, IA 29' Winnebago Aspect 27K 2013 Honda CB500f
“Sloped Sites and Trains”

Reviewed 9/3/2018

Site Number: 22/12/45

I want to preface this review with a note that this was my maiden voyage in my Winnebago Aspect 29" and my first time camping in a motor coach, so my expectations may be way off and tainted by my inexperience.

On arrival, I stopped at the self service check in where they had a print out and verified my site (#22). Lots of trepidation as I traversed the area looking for my site and backing in. The site was decent in size but pitched significantly nose up and crowned in the center. Try as I might, I couldn't get the coach level even lifting the back wheels 4" off of the ground. Found the Park Ranger, he was very nice and even though they were near capacity he offered another site that seemed slightly more level (#12), again reasonable spacious. Under his guidance I again backed in tried leveling to no avail. At this point, feeling dejected and ready to go home, he offered their standby site, a nice drive through (#45?). No where near flat but at least I was able to get the coach leveled. The drive through sites are very narrow with he neighbors right there.

Nice view of the lake with fishing docks and a boat ramp. Quite a few people enjoying the small lake on kayaks.

Must be close to a major rail line because regularly throughout the day and night you could hear the train whistle clearly, not close enough to hear the rumble of the train though.

Bottom line, the park was clean, the staff were friendly people with trailers didn't seem to have an issue with he sloped sites as long as they had ample blocks.

“Loved it!”

Reviewed 2/27/2018

This is one of our favorite places to sneak away! The lake is beautiful. You have to drive to the be a h or take a long hike, but it is a great Sandy beach. The fish can be aggressive when they spawn, but that is true everywhere. The water is wonderful. We love the fishing. It is a mix of bass, blue gill, and other pan fish. The bass are especially nice. We enjoy the quiet campground, playground, large spots, and friendly atmosphere. There is also a great picnic area near the beach and great trails. Also, there is great starwatching here! The lake has plenty of boat access and docks, as well. There are showers and restrooms. They are clean, yet not really remarkable. Not full hookups, but electric available. And it is quite inexpensive, as well as reservable.

Outdoorsy would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Red Haw State Park!

Be the first to add a video for Red Haw State Park!

Have you written a blog post about Red Haw State Park?

• boat ramp