Question about Nomad View Dispersed Camping

SueT asked on 2/15/2020

Is there anything that might serve as a windbreak for a tent? Sites near rocks? A lone tree?

SeeingTheSeitz
IN
36' NuWa HitchHiker Premier 35 LKRSB

Answered on 2/15/2020:

If you turn left at the main fork, take the road until it turns hard right and dips down a bit. In that area, the right side of the cliff tips up and might be helpful in blocking a bit of the wind. Other than that, the area does not have much coverage.

Answered on 2/15/2020:

No there isn’t, but when we were there people were tent camping without problems.
Gary
SD
33' Airstream Classic 33
Ram 3500

Answered on 2/15/2020:

Sue there really are no sheltered areas that will give you a wind break. Winds are generally from the west and run up from the west side upslope to the top of the ridge and then curl over to the plains below.
Voyagers On Wheels
Sioux Falls, SD
33' Winnebago 2008 Voyage

Answered on 2/15/2020:

No. This site is wide open. The first night we were there a couple arrived with a tent and tied it to their car which served as a bit of a wind break but I could hear their tent flapping later on and they left during the night. No rocks. No trees.
neckwrench
Byron Center, MI
Chevrolet Impala

Answered on 6/29/2020:

No windbreaks. I camped in a Springbar tent which can handle the wind pretty good.
WhoKnowsWhere
33' Salem Travel Trailer

Answered on 2/15/2020:

No, there is nothing you could use here and it is extremely windy. After my experience in my camper, I would not reccomend using a tent here.
DMR
Jordan, MN
13' Scamp Trailers 13' Standard
Chevrolet Truck

Answered on 2/15/2020:

Sorry no windbreaks just open field, Byrd Lake Recreation Area not to far away we really like it Kennebec, SD read review see what you think.
Gundog
Box Elder, SD
30' Keystone Laredo 274RB
Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD diesel

Answered on 2/15/2020:

Nothing that I remember. Go to Campendium.com and look for Nomad View Dispersed. There is an aerial photo.
1bike

WayneW
NC
2011 Palomino Bronco

Answered on 2/15/2020:

No, you are up on a ridge and it gets very windy during storms!