Golden Hill State Park

Barker, NY 14012
716-795-3885
716-795-3117

Pad Type: gravel

“Camping on Lake Ontario - Spectacular sunsets and a light house!”

Reviewed Jun 22, 2016

Golden Hills is a small New York State Park right on the shores of Lake Ontario. It is in the middle of nowhere, which adds to its charm. If you need a place to relax and unwind with a spectacular view, you can't beat this place.

I would recommend making reservations online (do the per-registration you are emailed after you make your payment) and trying to get on the loop closest to the lake. These sites are treed, pull through, have 50 amp electric and water. Once parked, you have only the loop road and a nice grassy area between you and the lake. You can sit and watch the water and passing freighters all day long if you wish!

There are other camping loops that don't quite have the full-on view of the water, but are still nice. They vary as to water and electric, you'll have to check the campground website. The public space right along the lake shore will still give you the view. There are also a number of primitive sites for tent camping. Most of the sites along the lake are fairly level, but we positioned our motor home to avoid hitting the trees with our awning, and found ourselves on a slope. So bring some extra pads for leveling just in case.

The park also boasts a very nice playground, some hiking trails, yurts, nice new bathrooms, a decent dump station, and a boat launch (about 1 mile east of the camping area). I didn't see any swim area. The Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse is right in the campground! You can tour the lighthouse for $1 per person. The attached museum is free.

If the conditions are right, you can see Toronto across the lake. In the area is the Niagara Wine Trail with wineries close by.

We didn't try OTA television, although someone mentioned getting Toronto stations in their RV. Verizon Cell Service was weak. My cell phone booster didn't boost the signal at all. I found if I put my phone (as a hot spot) in the window of the RV, I could pick up a weak 4G, 1 or 2 bar signal most of the time. That was enough for Internet. But if we wanted to talk on the phone, we typically drove to the entrance of the campground. The phone would only occasionally work in the RV for voice. Walking the 20 feet from the RV to the edge of the lake resulted in no service. Yes, it's that touchy!

This is one of those campgrounds you hesitate to review because you don't want to let the word get out. It was that nice and relaxing. We'll be back.

Thumb glacier
Wandering Around America One State at a Time – New York

State 29: Welcome to the next post in my series highlighting states we have visited throughout the years. I hope you will enjoy coming along for the ride! I will be featuring the states alp...

• boat ramp