Punderson State Park

JennGrover
Pittsburgh, PA
16 Little Guy T@b
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L

JennGrover would stay here again

“Winter Camping”

Reviewed Jan 03, 2016

Punderson State Park is one of several state parks in Ohio that offers winter camping. The reviews I had read on Punderson were very mixed and after visiting, I can see why. It's a park with so much potential yet in need of some serious updates. The sites are wonderful. Decent sized, many have trees near them or are lakeside. They are paved and level. Most have a fire ring and picnic table. You can choose from primitive sites to sites with electric in the winter. The heated shower houses and dump stations are open and water is available.

The campground is also one of several Ohio State Parks that has Wifi. Using my Ubiquiti Nanostation M2, I was able to pick up a strong signal from site 84. I am not sure if performance would be the same with leaves on the trees.

Without using my cell phone booster, I received 2 bars of Verizon LTE. Using my Weboost 4G-S cell phone booster, I only increased coverage to 3 bars, but the connection seemed (I didn't check it) faster.

With my cheap little antenna, I was able to get around 27 TV stations, but about half of them were shopping and Spanish speaking. I think with a better antenna you could probably easily get all of the Cleveland TV stations.

Oddly, the campground looked like a small tornado or microburst had hit it, or an overzealous beaver, but the more closely I looked, the more it seemed as though there had just been a lot of trimming and tree removal. There was debris all over the campgrounds roads and some lf the sites were unusable. I learned from some local walking the grounds that the downed trees were removed due to blight from the Emerald Ash Borer.

I spoke to another camper who told me that the campground is generally pretty full in the summer and that the park shows movies in the outdoor amphitheater on the weekends and offers great nature programs. In the winter, the park is known for winter activities including boasting a popular sledding hill. He noted the aged shower houses and that Punderson Manner won a grant to improve facilities. Upon further research, I learned that some of the sites were planned to receive electrical upgrades.

Some sites at the campground are right on the lake, which provides a view across the lake to Punderson Manner. Although I could see a fair amount of stars, there was a noticeable degree of light pollution present. Road noise was noticeable when I was outside of my RV and the machinery removing the trees ran all day long.

All in all, camping at Punderson State Park is a nice experience. I look forward to trying it with leaves on the trees and more campers in the campground in warmer months.

about Punderson State Park?

Maywood Community (+ park)
Chesterland, Ohio
Roundup Lake RV Park
Kool Lakes Family RV Park
Parkman, Ohio
Country Lakes Family Campground
Montville, Ohio
Woodside Lake Park
Streetsboro, Ohio
Portage ohio turnpike rv lot
Portage Ohio Turnpike RV Lot
Rest Area
Mantua, Ohio
Bradys leap ohio turnpike rv lot
Brady’s Leap Ohio Turnpike RV Lot