Detroit Lake State Park

2017 Ford F350
Site Number: H50
“Huge campground”

Reviewed Jul 04, 2016

This is a huge campground, with over 300 sites. And no dump station. What's that about? I know some of the sites have sewer, and maybe the goal is to push folks toward those more expensive sites, but it seems irresponsible to have so many campsites without a dump station.

Our campsite was on the water...or at least with nothing between us and the water. The water was far away, however, given the current levels of the lake. The way it's set up, if you have a campsite on the water, you have lots of beach-goers between your site and the water, so it's not too private. Fortunately, the night we were there (4th of July) there were open sites on both sides of us providing more privacy.

We loved that there were no restrictions keeping the dogs off the beach (we always clean up after them, so we appreciated that there was no ban -- the dogs appreciated it, too). With such a large campground, it's not surprising that there was a fair amount of noise, but at least people toned it down later in the evening. No generators are allowed at all, and that helped with the noise issue. It was cool at night, and we were able to keep our windows open without being kept up by noise.

Again, our only complaint is the lack of a dump station. What would someone who was staying longer than a night do?

Thumb 1926935 606505542753672 1849089407 n 420x420
Nathan @ Wand'rly

14 Volkswagen Bus, Champagne Edition, Riviera Campwagen
Site Number: G43

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

“Would be a little better if Mt. Jefferson could be seen from spot G43”

Reviewed Jun 28, 2015

I'd been eyeing this lake up for years. Every time we'd migrate from the coast to the eastern Cascades we'd driven by, but it was never actually on the agenda.

It was big and beautiful from the road, crossing the bridge that separates the state park from the quaint mountain town of Detroit the vista opened up, the valley parted and a river with a name too difficult to pronounce had been dammed to create Detroit Lake.

Nothing like its Michigandian namesake.

Alas, upon trying to make reservations—like everywhere summer weekend Oregon—there was little availability. We could only score a Friday night.

After climbing through the grandiose swirving through Doug-fir forests that is the drive here from the west (or east, that's even better), I pull up to the entrance.

"Just staying one night?" The plump man smiled as he entered my reservation info.

"Yeah," I sighed, "I thought that was all that was available."

"We've had some cancellations, so you could stay longer," he revealed. Bonus.

"I'll take two more nights if I can."

"Two nights?!" He chuckled. "Your weekend just totally changed."

He put us in G43. It is the absolute best spot in the entire campground, massive, as far from the highway as possible (other sites are right on that road), separated by the campground loop road by trees, a big field behind it.

But I wasn't here for the spot. I was here for the lake.

I set us up in record time, donned my swimming trunks, and ran for the water. Doing my best Fred Flintstone I jumped skyward, positioned my hands in the prayer's dive, and prepared for the cool blast of relief from the 100 degree weather.

Bam! Face first into the dirt. My body cartooned into an accordion shape and I shuffled along back to my campsite.

The lake is drastically low. It didn't stop us eventually from getting in the water, and it did keep the mosquitoes a quarter mile away from our should-be waterfront site.

Renee, my baby's mama, went on and on about how awesome our site was. Like, 40 times a day. If she says it again, though I agree, I'll have little recourse but to contact the Pope for a royal annulment.

I can imagine how epic this place would be with a boat. Tubing. Water skiing. You could ride across the lake to town for drinks and some great BBQ at Connors.

As state parks in Oregon roll, this one is a classic rock tune with just the right amount of cowbell.

AT&T 4G

about Detroit Lake State Park?

Cove creek campground