• Reviews (1)

Overview of Whittaker Campground

Elevation 2,460 ft / 749 m

View Map

Supporter Subscription

Become a Campendium Supporter and enjoy ad-free browsing plus bonus features!

• Cell Coverage Maps
  • Public Land Overlays
  • Trail Map Layers
  • Ad Free

Unlock Features

$20 Billed Annually

Q&A - Ask the Community about Whittaker Campground

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Whittaker Campground

Reviews of Whittaker Campground 1 person has reviewed this location.

“Quiet & convenient to area attractions”

Reviewed 7/12/2020

This campground was our home away from home for 2 days in beautiful Cass, WV. Located just up the hill from the Cass Scenic Railroad and the Greenbrier River Trail's northern trailhead and about 10 miles from Snowshoe Ski Resort, this campground provides a great home base for area attractions -- BUT, do your research before you go! There is absolutely no cell phone service and practically non-existent wifi due to the campground (and the entire region's) location in the National Radio Quiet Zone -- which reminds me, you'll be about 15 minutes south of the Green Bank Observatory as well, which is usually open for public tours (but was not due to COVID).

As of the time of this review, Google's listing for the campground pointed to a location about 1.25 miles away. I have submitted corrections and photos that Google will hopefully accept so that this place will be easier to find. I strongly suggest you get your vacations and write them down before you get into the mountains, where GPS reception is iffy even if you could get reception.

Because of its remote location (and being owned by an elderly gentleman), Whittaker has no website or online reservations system. To book a site, call the owner's landline. If he's not present, he seems to call back everything on his caller ID when he gets back home. Since the Cass Scenic Railroad had just opened up for the season (much later due to COVID), business was very light for him on the two nights we were there, so when we called, he said he had availability and asked when we would be around, I let him know that I'd call back when I had a better timeline. After a couple equipment issues, my timeline had slipped and I tried to reach out to him twice to no avail. I had only just realized that he hadn't taken my information on my first call, and I started to worry whether I would have a place to sleep on the first night. Wife and I debated whether we should go at all, or go to our backup reservation in a state park about an hour south. We decided to take our chances in going, and the gentleman happened to call us back when we were about an hour out. Apparently, he has a life outside of running the campground - hmm. Well, it turns out that we would have been okay anyway even if we didn't hear from him; business was so light we had plenty of choices so there was no need for a reservation; if you wanted or needed to roll the dice, just go set up - you drive past his house on the way in and he surveys the site regularly, so he'll find you and get you taken care of later. This is confirmed by the sign at the entrance.

Once you arrive, the campground has full hookups, electric-only sites with 50, 30, and 20-amp connections, cabins and tent sites. Most of the RV sites are mostly level but are grassy, with a good mix of sunny and shaded sites to suit whichever need you have. Sites are well-spaced, so you aren't crowded in. All sites come with picnic tables and "fire pits" (old truck rims). Free firewood is available next to the restrooms, or down the road a bit where the log splitter is. As mentioned in other reviews on other sites, the restrooms are dated, but they are clean and functional. Another review from 2018 mentioned electrical issues, I have noticed that the infrastructure has been updated since then, so this should no longer be an issue.

AT&T
Sprint
Verizon
T-Mobile

tcdc would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Whittaker Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Whittaker Campground!

Have you written a blog post about Whittaker Campground?

• restrooms: onsite

Seven Mile Campground

Beautiful, quiet and perfect getaway spot.

- Brown Sign Junkies