White Oaks Campground

Max Length: 20 ft

AT&T
Hep
CA

“We made the best out of it”

Reviewed Aug 19, 2018

I just got back from a weekend at White Oaks with my 7 year old son. this was his first camping experience so I wanted it to be pretty out there. Well, it was out there alright. About 50 minutes of one lane dirt road up the side of a mountain going 20 mph and we finally reached White Oaks Campground. It was actually a nice camp but the thing that spoiled it was the incessant and ridiculous amount of flies. As soon as you step out of your vehicle you are bombarded by swarms of tiny gnat like flies that don't let up the entire time you are outside. I must have swallowed at least four in the few minutes it took to walk from our site the the welcome sign. Now I realize this is nature and there will be insects, but this was a bit extreme. Also, due the California wildfires going on there was no campfires allowed so this left me to cook everything on our Coleman Stove. This would have been fine except that everytime I turned on the gas it alerted every yellow jacket in the vicinity to converge on the stove, so I ended up cooking through a swarm of them and trying earnestly to not get stung. My son stayed in our tent the whole weekend and due to the bombardment of flies we couldn't eat outside.

But other than the insect issue, the sites were well shaded, the camp was clean. The vault toilets had plenty of toilet paper stocked, and as far as I could tell, there weren't many critters lurking around. The campground had no access to hiking trails either, for that you had to drive about 10-15 more miles up the dirt road.

AT&T

about White Oaks Campground?

• ADA Accessible

China Camp Campground
Arroyo seco campground
Arroyo Seco Campground
Greenfield, California
Pfeiffer big sur state park
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park