• Reviews (2)

Monthly Rate Yes

Elevation 984 ft / 299 m

View Map

Supporter Subscription

Become a Campendium Supporter and enjoy ad-free browsing plus bonus features!

• Cell Coverage Maps
  • Public Land Overlays
  • Trail Map Layers
  • Ad Free

Unlock Features

$20 Billed Annually

Q&A - Ask the Community about Wheel-in Campground

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Wheel-in Campground

Reviews of Wheel-in Campground 2 people have reviewed this location.

Confirmed by 2 Users
Last reported 10/24/2020
Teddi
Gibsonia, PA
37' Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Open Road 36LA
“Nice Campground in Western PA”

Reviewed 10/24/2020

We averaged $21 / night with our Passport America discount ($42 without) for W/E50/S/I. Our gravel pull through site was very level and offered some shade. It was long enough for our motorhome and car though other campers were nearby. The interior roads were a little narrow. The internet connection and speed was outstanding. The husband and wife who assisted us upon arrival were very helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

Sites nearby to see include Gobblers Knob in Punxatawney and the Jimmy Stewart Museum in Indiana.

JennGrover
Pittsburgh, PA
15' nüCamp [email protected] 320
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
“If you need a campground close to Indiana, PA, this is the ticket. ”

Reviewed 8/6/2018

There are not a lot of options in Shelocta, PA, despite its proximity to Indiana, PA, home of Jimmy Stewart, Christmas Tree Capital of the world, and home of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I had an event that brought me to Shelocta for 3 nights, sot he Wheel-In-Campground was my choice.

The owners were friendly by phone and in person. I was personally escorted through the gate to my campsite to be shown the layout of the grass site. The sites here are parallel instead of the usual perpendicular layout most campgrounds use. It was explained that is gave each site a larger, "yard", which it indeed, did. Each site has a picnic table, very large fire ring, electric, and water connections.

My site was right along the Plum Creek and had large shade trees at the back of the site, but not near where campers and connections were located. The area has had an extraordinary amount of rain, recently, so it was fairly saturated, but not muddy. I noticed sites that looked prone to mud had ample gravel to make the experience more pleasant.

I did not purchase firewood, but my neighbors did, from a local lumber mill.

The gate locks at 9:00 PM each night, but you may purchase a $10 cash refundable gate card to provide you with after hours access.

Their website listed a lot of activities for families, although I did not participate in any.

The campground has a playground, bathhouse, pond with paddle boats, There were some families wading the creek, but it is pretty muddy. My Shih Tzu came out of it with a nice shade of a brown from the mud.

The campground was relatively clean and quiet. The sites were large from front to back and very wide, but there is no privacy.

If you need a campground close to Indiana, PA, this is the ticket.

JennGrover would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Wheel-in Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Wheel-in Campground!

Have you written a blog post about Wheel-in Campground?

Connectivity