West Chicago Creek Campground

thecrazygoodlife.com
Jonesboro, GA
30 Jayco 28BHS
2005 Ford F250

thecrazygoodlife.com would stay here again

“Pristine, Quiet, Amazing!”

Reviewed Jun 21, 2016

I LOVED this campground! We just got back from a 4700 mile trip around the West in which we stayed about about 9 different campgrounds ranging from private, state park, national park, national forest and Cracker Barrel. Out of them all, this was by far my favorite.

If you enjoy peace and quiet with a big dose of fresh air and aspens, this is the place for you. It is dry camping, so it's not for everyone. We didn't have reservations so we just showed up hoping for a site on Memorial Day. We were in luck with only 4 other campers in the CG. Be warned, the drive up is a little bit harrowing, especially if you are pulling a camper. Coming off of the interstate it's about a 4 mile drive when you pull onto a dirt road. From here it's about another 2-3 miles. The last mile or so will test your mettle a bit as there are a couple intense switchbacks that my wife was quite a bit unsure of. The last few hundred yards are a bit bumpy but then you arrive and you forget it all.

As we arrived, the CG hosts rushed out to meet us and welcome us. It's like they hadn't seen a person in a week and couldn't wait to say hey. They were extremely friendly and helpful, probably the most so of any CG host I've ever met. We did a quick drive through and decided on site 7 which I loved. We have a 30' TT and could probably fit into most sites.

The site itself was pretty level, only needed one set of blocks under the wheels and not much needed front to back. The quirk was that the fire ring and picnic table were on the opposite side of our door but not a huge deal. The table was good quality but a bit low to the ground.

So why was I so taken by this CG? I think it's just the solitude and peacefulness of it. It's so far up the road that you're unlikely to have much if any traffic, even in the busy times. When we arrived, the freshness of the air and the sound of the river below and the view (this site had a good view) put me in an instant chill mode and put a smile on my face.

There's a trail about 100 yards from the CG. We hiked about half a mile of it and it was pretty. Supposedly moose had been spotted recently. While you're here, make sure to go up to the top of Mt. Evans (it was closed the day we were there).

Just of note, there is one water spigot with REALLY good water pressure and a two door vault toilet that was clean and smelled good. You could also purchase wood bundles from the CG host for $5. No cell service at all. Overall, one of the best places we've ever stayed!

West Chicago Creek Campground

Date of Travel: May 30-31, 2016 Total Cost Per Night: $10 Address: W Chicago Creek Rd, Idaho Springs, CO 80452 Site: 7 (Dry camping) Elevation: 9600′ Have you ever experienced that sensation where yo...

Clear Lake
Georgetown, Colorado
Echo lake campground arapaho nf
Echo Lake Campground