Warner Lake Campground & Cabin

Thumb campsite cropped small2
HighPlainsCamper

Fleetwood Gearbox 22FB
2017 Ford F-350
“Long Climb, Very Tight Sites”

Reviewed Aug 06, 2018

First things first, if your vehicle is the least bit prone to overheating you do NOT want to drive the road up to this campground in the summer heat. It is a long, steep climb on the paved road. Part of the paved road is poorly maintained and part of it is brand new. The newer part starts around the turnoff for Oowah Lake. There is about four miles of gravel road that you have to drive to get to the campground from the paved road. The twisty gravel road is uphill most of the way and can be quite narrow in places, with no place for two vehicles to pass. The gravel road is well maintained but still has washboards.

The loop road within the campground is narrow, with vegetation (tree, bushes) and rails (poles) close to the edge of the road. A vehicle parked on the edge of the road would prevent another vehicle from passing. The sites are similarly narrow. You can see that in one of the pictures I posted. That's the backside of my 22' trailer. I had to get the trailer that close to the edge so I could open the door. Plus, getting it perfectly centered just wasn't going to happen. I was happy to get it in there at all. There was not enough room to open my awning but the trees provided enough shade to make the awning unnecessary. I reserved a second site to park my truck in. Tent campers will be fine. Some sites are bigger than others but none of them are very large. Site 17 is probably the largest.

The campground seems overgrown. Many of the "bushes" were at least waist high on me. A small child could get lost in the bushes if they could stand the thorns. The aspen trees are quite tall. The solar panels on the roof of my trailer couldn't get enough sunlight to charge the battery so I had to run the generator. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

I had two picnic tables and a fire ring. Campfires were not allowed at the time. There was a camp host but they never came by. Each time I walked by their site they had a sign out front saying they were off duty. The latrines were clean. The sites are spaced out enough that you won't hear your neighbors talking in a normal voice, but screaming kids are a different matter.

The climate was very nice, having come up from a night in the desert near Moab. I didn't need A/C or heat at the end of beginning of August.

The lake is small, more of a pond, but it does have Rainbow Trout in it. I caught six and threw them all back. They were too small for the effort it would take to clean them. Nearby Oowah Lake is larger and had bigger trout. A bear was sighted in or near the campground the day I was there. I saw deer across the lake. Cattle graze nearby but are fenced out from getting into the campground.

This campground is a waypoint for The Whole Enchilada mountain biking trail. There are a number of walking/biking trails available at this campground.

There is no source for water here. Bring your own. Keep in mind you have to carry all that water up the climb to the campground.

There are no OHV trails near this campground. The gravel road in is it. I parked mine at my site and never rode it. I didn't check but there may be a rule that prevents riding OHV within the campground.

There are maybe four dispersed campsites along the gravel road to the campground. However, you'll have to deal with the significant dust from the road and the grazing cattle.

Verizon

about Warner Lake Campground & Cabin?

• cabins