Vernita Bridge

2 Reviews
Highway 243 Mattawa, WA 99349 509-575-2740 360-902-2515 Official Website

• Reviews

Overview of Vernita Bridge

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Pad Type dirt

Elevation 393 ft / 119 m

Max Stay 14

Q&A - Ask the Community about Vernita Bridge

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Vernita Bridge

Reviews of Vernita Bridge 2 people have reviewed this location.

Last reported 9/28/2016
Thumb logo pic
Our Adventuring Life
Livingston, TX 43' Montana High Country 340BH
“We immediately left”

Reviewed 6/23/2019

We pulled into area and got near the river. A drunk male (very uncomfortable looking) came staggering out of the trees on the road towards us. There was 2 vehicles with smashed out windows that looked like they couldn't be driven were parked there. We did as fast of a u-turn as we could through the field and fled. It really is too bad as otherwise it looked like a really nice place to stay. We did stop at the rest stop across the river and used the dump station and got water and it was really nice.

SubaruVagabond
Subaru Outback
“Large, Open Area, Busy, On the Columbia River”

Reviewed 9/28/2016

The first time I drove by this spot, I didn't have a valid Washington Discover Pass that is required. However, I took note that the Verizon reception looked decent and the sun exposure was excellent for solar panels. After getting the discover pass in Seattle and needing to recharge my batteries somewhat desperately (I'm 100% solar power), I decided to come back and stay here for a while.

The allowed area to camp is massive, with nearly countless places to setup. It's mostly just dry grass and some mixed shrub, and anywhere reasonable to park works here (be aware of your clearance on the dry grass, of course). When I arrived, there were tons of campers of several varieties all over. The most common thread was that most people were there for the boat ramp and fishing; a neighbor specifically noted that I was not and felt the need to ask what I was doing there. Given that, there's a lot of traffic of people pulling boats around the dirt roads.

My allergies got super bad here (end of September); worse than I usually get. Probably something in the air for those with fall allergy problems. Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay, which I would stay at again.

The main road in is a gravel turn off of the highway, on the Northwest side of the bridge. There is a rest area, including dump station and drinking water, on the Southwest side of the bridge, just across the river (you can't miss the latter!). Once in, you'll be driving on mostly dirt roads. They were all in excellent condition; rocky and therefore bumpy at parts, but easy enough for any vehicle to navigate, especially if you take it slow enough.

I was surprised at how clean it was for how busy it was, actually. There were port-a-potties, which did become rather unsanitary a day or so before they came and cleaned/restocked them. Otherwise, not bad at all.

I got Edge on T-Mobile and real good LTE on Verizon. No need to use a booster: it didn't help T-Mobile at all in any perceivable way, and didn't make Verizon any faster or more reliable. Verizon was fine as-is, for me.

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Vernita Bridge!

Be the first to add a video for Vernita Bridge!

Have you written a blog post about Vernita Bridge?

• boat ramp
Artboard Created with Sketch.

Vernita Rest Area

Wanapum State Park

Quite and Beautiful

- OurWanderfulLife

Horn Rapids Park

Pretty campgrounds in the Tri-Cities area

- Vicki