• Reviews (2)

Overview of Van Winkle Mountain

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Pad Type dirt

Elevation 3,674 ft / 1,119 m

Max Stay 14

View Map

Supporter Subscription

Become a Campendium Supporter and enjoy ad-free browsing plus bonus features!

• Cell Coverage Maps
  • Public Land Overlays
  • Ad Free

Unlock Features

$20 Billed Annually

Q&A - Ask the Community about Van Winkle Mountain

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Van Winkle Mountain

Reviews of Van Winkle Mountain 2 people have reviewed this location.

Confirmed by 2 Users
Last reported 2/24/2020
Last reported 11/29/2019
“Great spot but no usable AT&T”

Reviewed 2/24/2020

Site Number: Posted coordinates

This is absolutely a great spot and if I used Verizon as my hotspot I would have stayed at least two nights. However, at the posted coordinates, I couldn't pick up AT&T, even with my WeBoost. Verizon was 4 bars on my phone, but I was really hoping to stream some entertainment.

By the time I realized the AT&T was unusable, there was already someone in the spot a little farther that Marshall mentioned in his review.

The 0.8mi road in is easy and the spot is great! Clean, somewhat level, and beautiful.

AT&T Voice Only

Thumb marshall head shot 5 19
Marshall
Livingston, TX 24' Lance 1995 Toyota Sequoia
“Peace and Quiet in the Middle of Nowhere”

Reviewed 11/29/2019

The GPS coordinates shown on Campendium is the 'main' area at Van Winkle Mountain. It is essentially an open space with room for several rigs. Depending on how cozy you want to get, you could jam at least half a dozen decent sized rigs in there.

This spot was taken when I rolled in, so I continued on a little ways (but not too far) farther in. The spot I found was another semi-open area that could fit another half a dozen rigs.

While this location is marked as needing 4x4 it certainly doesn't. I had a couple of friends join me, both in smaller Class C's, and they had zero problem. Nor did I need 4 wheel drive towing my trailer in.

The road in is hard packed. Even in the rain it didn't become soupy.

HOWEVER, you need to have a liking for desert pin striping if you camp here, especially if you have a wider RV. I certainly added some nice lines to my collection, but hey, that's the hazard of boondocking. There is a considerable amount of shrubs and trees lining the path in, and it only gets 'skinnier' the farther back you go. It's not horrible up to the GPS location (though you may still get pinstripes), but after that, all bets are off!

You are really in the middle of nowhere here. It's really quiet. The cell service (VZW and AT&T) is very good. But don't expect to find a grocery store less than 45 minutes to an hour away. And you will pay top dollar for gas around here, when you do find a gas station.

Keep in mind that Mojave National Preserve is the third largest National Park Unit. It's massive! One day I drove 150 miles and only saw a small slice of it. Another day I was chauffeured so I don't have a clue about the mileage, but it was hours of driving just to see another small section. So get gas when you can, unless you have a fuel sipper.

Come with full water tanks and empty holding tanks as there isn't any dump station or water to be had anywhere convenient. Yes, at least one of the paid campgrounds has these facilities, but trust me, they aren't exactly close by and are far from convenient.

So bring your water, your food, and your enjoyment of wide open, peaceful space. Mojave is a great place to spend at least a week!

Marshall would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Van Winkle Mountain!

Be the first to add a video for Van Winkle Mountain!

Have you written a blog post about Van Winkle Mountain?

• Dispersed Camping

Hidden Hill Road

Private desert camp with great views and good cell.

- boondockinglife

Heart of the Mojave West

Good BLM spot for 5th Wheel

- Sbrigham

Kelso Dunes Mine

Spectacular sunsets, dune access, no shade

- KL