Turkey Hole

485-489 Highway 142
Lyle, WA 98635
360-696-6211
360-902-2515

A Discover Pass or Vehicle Access Pass is required to camp on Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) Lands.

AT&T
“Quiet, FREE (with discover pass) spot down by the river”

Reviewed Feb 03, 2018

This little gem is a great if you’re looking for a free place to crash or a nice quiet getaway. This place does have a sign explaining that a Discover Pass is required for use. The Discover Pass is $35 for the whole year of access to Washington Public Land. Honestly, in an off season, I highly doubt you'll be checked. We came in February and didn't see anyone else the whole time. We camped here on our way to Portland for just one night. We arrived pretty late, and we still had the whole place to ourselves. There are plenty of wide, flat areas that an RV or camper could fit easily. We camp in our 4 wheel drive Honda Element, so we found a little less accessible spot and backed right up to the river. It was really nice, it blocked out the sound of any passing cars. It’s not very far off the road, so headlights are still visible, but you couldn’t hear them. Overall, great site. The only amenities there is one vault toilet that is in great shape. It was clean and had toilet paper. We didn’t see any dumpsters, so pack out what you pack in. The whole site was nice and clean, be sure to abide by LNT principles! :)

AT&T

Site Number: NA
“Not bad. NOT FREE”

Reviewed Apr 07, 2017

Mostly enjoyed my stay here in early April. I was the only camper present and my dog and I had free run of the place. This is essentially a river turnout with a nice pit toilet, and a few dispersed camping spots with impromptu fire pits. The roar of the swift moving Klickitat River is ever present.

It is not free but requires a discovery pass which I purchased for $35 (good for one year) in the nearby town of Lyle. There was evidence of frequent use including some significant trash in one spot near the river. Hwy 142 is about 75 feet away and has a traffic every 10-15 minutes.

We enjoyed a lovely campfire and a pleasant, cool evening. However, I was startled out of a sound sleep just around midnight when a vehicle pulled into the camping area shining lights on my camper. Turns out it was the local deputy using the restroom.

Pros: near the river, lots of space, nice facilities, generally well kept, sheriff patrolled

Cons: Nearby Hwy 142 has more traffic than I expected. The local deputies use the restroom including at odd hours. Probably busy in the warmer months.

about Turkey Hole?

Rest Area
Mineral Springs
Dept. Fish & Wildlife
Klickitat, Washington
Port of the dalles dump station
Port of The Dalles Dump Station