Trailer Haven

Spelunkus
Van Nuys, CA
25 Airstream Eddie Bauer
2016 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Spelunkus would stay here again

“Conveniently located, limited spaces, neighborhood is so-so”

Reviewed Apr 26, 2016

This park is one of the most convenient for access to SF and the East Bay. It's primarily for mobile homes. It looks like they have about 10 sites in front for overnighters with trailers. They are just parking spaces wide enough for a trailer and tow vehicle side-by-side. They sometimes have a few spaces within the park, but for motorhomes.

At the time of writing the monthly rate is around $750, utilities included, if I understood one of the residents correctly. We paid $35/night. That's really cheap.

They have a dump station with some time restrictions.

We almost didn't stay here because the neighborhood feels sketchy.

We checked out http://www.richblockspoorblocks.com for income levels and Trulia for crime maps, then we decided to bring the rig down there and take a look. There are three schools within a few blocks and a hospital, and the immediate area looks safer than 5+ blocks north or south. It definitely felt like a gray area, but we are new full-timers with a new rig and are just dialing in our comfort level. Once we'd been there a few days we felt less paranoid, though I still wouldn't stay here long-term (assuming the longer you stay they more likelihood of an incident). Everyone we met was very nice, residents have said they feel very safe there, and there was no "riff-raff" or partying or anything like that.

I think if we had been able to stay in the middle of the park we would not have been so wary, but since we have a trailer they only like to put those on the street-end of the park, and there is only a 6' fence.

At the office they said they have not had any crimes there, and they have security cameras and a night guard. If you look at the crime map on Trulia there are definitely typical misdemeanors going on, but nothing really scary.

The site we stayed in had full hookups at the far end. I only have a 15' sewer hose so I had to buy a 5' extension. The water pressure was pretty sporadic. There was traffic noise, but I wear earplugs at night, so I didn't notice.

Having now stayed here, I think I'd do it again for a few nights or a week, but I wouldn't consider it a long-term (monthly+) option.

T-Mobile 4G

about Trailer Haven?

Anthony chabot regional park
Anthony Chabot Regional Park
Castro Valley, California
Candlestick rv park
Candlestick RV Park
San Francisco, California
Alameda county fairgrounds rv park
Alameda County Fairgrounds RV Park