• Reviews

Overview of Trail Lakes Campground

Weekly Rate Yes

Q&A - Ask the Community about Trail Lakes Campground

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Trail Lakes Campground

Reviews of Trail Lakes Campground 2 people have reviewed this location.

Last reported 1/27/2015
Last reported 1/27/2015
Thumb beach cat
RV to Freedom
30' Newmar Baystar Nissan Xterra
“Quirky spot in the Everglades”

Reviewed 9/9/2015

We only spent a night here on our way to the Keys, but we had to stop after finding out about the Skunk Ape Research Headquarters. This campground is part of the same property. In fact, you register inside the HQ. They sell Skunk Ape (like Bigfoot) stuff inside the store.

We had a pull through spot right on the edge of the park with a beautiful view. There wasn't any yard to speak of, but since we were only there overnight, we didn't care. There was a small pond across from us with a small alligator in it trying to get away from the big guys along the road. There were some people living there full-time.

In the morning, the caretaker gave us a tour of the little zoo (see blog post for more details). We didn't even know it was included, but it was a nice perk. They also offer eco-tours out of the location.

RV to Freedom would stay here again

Reviewed 1/27/2015

Note that the rate reflects what we would've paid nightly. Since we stayed for a week, they gave us a free night. Enough talk of money though, here's how our initial approach went as we entered the park.

You pull through a large metal gate which requires a passcode. Statues of lions and the "skunk ape", Florida's version of Bigfoot, abound. A man is woodburning a great blue heron onto his pole boat. As you enter, a sign says, "Night registration". I'm not sure how you'd get to this point if you hadn't already registered and been given the gate code, but a man pulls up on a motorcycle. Like most Floridians, he does not seem to own a shirt. Leading us to our site, one with a pristine view but that is more or less just enough room for us to pull off of the dirt road and park, I ask him if we could have something else. He tells us to look around and let us know what he likes.

I find a spot, it's two spots I'll eventually find out, and tell him. "Number 26," I say.

"By the tiki hut?"

"I don't know," I reply, I hadn't seen a tiki hut, though I wasn't particularly looking.

"Take me over there," he states and I lead him to the site in question.

Again, it's actually two spots. He begins his friendly rant.

"Look, how do you run your show?"

"Huh?"

"I get $200 a night for that tiki hut," he says, and I finally see it. It's a pretty nice tiki hut. "You can't be partying all night here, I need to rent that out and people don't want a party next door."

I've got three kids and my mother-in-law with me. He nods as I assure him I won't party all night.

"Are you going to have the radio on late?"

Before I can reply, he says, "like, after 10pm? I mean, you can play it, play the radio all night long, just keep it down."

I nod again, he accepts. Then he tells me that he won't rent the spot next to me out for as long as we stay.

We end up with a massive yard, bigger than most city dwellers will ever know, and the sun sets through a strangler fig absorbing a palm tree every night.

Big Cypress is ours for the taking, and we do just that, from this perfect little (expensive) hideaway.

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Trail Lakes Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Trail Lakes Campground!

Thumb beach cat
RV to Freedom
30' Newmar Baystar Nissan Xterra
What's a Skunk Ape? -

What’s a Skunk Ape? September 3, 2015 By Kerensa Leave a Comment “What’s a skunk ape?” Brandon receives this question and a lot of weird looks whenever he wears his shirt depicting this creature. S...

Greetings from Big Cypress National Preserve! on Wand'rly

Greetings from Big Cypress National Preserve! Driving along US 41 through Florida, the Tamiami Trail as it’s known, a show rarely seen...

Big cypress dump station