Thompson Falls State Park

RetiredVagabond
Hamilton, MT
32 Grand Design Reflection
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

RetiredVagabond would stay here again

“Wonderful State Park on the Clarks Fork River”

Reviewed Jul 27, 2016

I love Montana. Of course it's my home state too. This State Park has great discounts for Seniors and Residents of Montana. The Host was very friendly and attentive. The campground is a smaller one, I believe sixteen sites. The privacy was good, however site #008 was next to a vault toilet and had an occasional visitor. The sites are basic dry camping. One of the negatives is there isn't a dump and you won't find one for many miles. Also the campground is very close to a major railroad line and has trains passing often. I enjoy the trains, whistles and background noise so it's not an issue for me. There is a boat launch here and fishing.

I visited Thompson Falls, which isn't that dramatic anymore due to the dam placed just above the falls. The parklike grounds have trails and areas to picnic. I enjoyed the views and the serenity in this area.

I also drove north to Kootenai Falls one day and enjoyed the hike and huge falls, which is the largest in Montana from what I have read.

I will return here someday and stay longer to enjoy the peaceful river passing by.

“Small park on Hwy 200 between Sandpoint, ID and Missoula, MT”

Reviewed Jun 10, 2016

We arrived after dark on a Friday night in September, to find the park nearly full. Chose our site, only to discover the rail grade runs just above the park, so there was noise from passing trains a few times through the night. Spacious sites, but no hookups.

Unexpected Visitor – A Bear

Travel Journal – June 26, 2016 View from the lounge chair Today was another warm day with clear skies. A great day to relax, read a book and watch the river flow by our camp. This mornin...

Finally Montana – Thompson Falls

Travel Journal – June 23,2016 Passing through Idaho Today we are finally traveling into Montana. Is there such a thing as traveling too slow? Several of our last stays were in areas chos...

Gold Rush