Sycamore Ranch Park & Campground

5390 Highway 20
Browns Valley, CA 95918
530-749-5420

Site Number: Group Site C

Arnell would stay here again

“Decent place...”

Reviewed Jul 22, 2018

This was a nice campground. Yes, it's a county campground, so don't expect too much when it comes to amenities, but they do have a lot.

For starters, they do have decent bathrooms and showers. This came in handy for our group, since it was between 90º and 100º with high humidity. We literally sweated throughout the whole weekend. Being in a tent was simply uncomfortable until the sun went down and then picked back up right when the sun came back up.

The sites seem pretty close together, but since we were in group site "C" and we were at a family reunion, it wasn't a issue. The distance between sites were about 10+ feet between site pads at the closer locations. That is normally too close for my liking. (Please note this on my review if it is not an issue for you.) The area is wooded and shaded, but does not protect you from the midday sun or from the ambient noise if your fellow campers feel like they're going to be a bit loud late through the night. We specifically had issue with a 5th wheel so well-lit we called it the 7-11, because the light coming from it at 11 pm looked like a convenient store sitting in the middle of the park. There is not enough growth to mask any ambient light from your fellow campers. It does not also shield you from simple conversations across the campgrounds too.

The sites are paved and close to level, but I did have to use leveling blocks on my travel trailer for my site. There are some big trees here and I saw larger trailers struggling to get around, so be mindful when bringing a larger rig past 35-40 ft. There are some pull-throughs to accommodate larger rigs, but it does not help you navigating around the campground. Stay within your campground with the larger rigs, otherwise it may be a challenge to get in and out. We watched a 5th wheeler struggling to get out just to dump, because the trees where so close to the road.

Electrical and water were good. I had no issues from 30amp power at the pedestal and the water pressure was dialed down on my water regulator down to 55 psi. There is no sewage at each site, which is common, but they do have a sewage dump at the entrance/exit, which is kept-up well, but not very much space if rigs start stacking up.

There's a nice creek along the campgrounds where you can fish for trout, bass, and bluegill/sunfish, but when it's hot, you'd have to go to the (Yuba) river for any trout action. You can swim in this water, but during the warmer months, I would advise against it, as it becomes stagnant and fills with algae and other plant life.

Connectivity is good. I had at least 3-bars for AT&T LTE and 2-bars for Verizon LTE (Hotspot). I was able to finish up some work utilizing my hotspot with no need for any antennas or signal boosters.

When it comes to local amenities, there isn't much close. There is a gas station (otherwise known as "The Station") that offers gas, small deli with mostly frozen/fried food, some dairy, and other common convenient store products. If you're in need of real groceries, you'll have to go into Marysville about 10 miles out, where there's a Walmart and other stores. Plan ahead when coming, so you're not stuck buying everything from The Station. Still, this is a very small inconvenience. I did not see any fueling stations from the campground (outside of The Station) West until I go into Yuba City, so once again, plan accordingly.

Overall, it's a good place, but this area inherently gets uncomfortably hot during the Summer months. My biggest issue was with the weather, but you can't blame the campground for that. I've talked with other campers that have been here multiple times and state the place has fallen in maintenance, but for a first time visitor, it was decent considering it's a county park. My second issue was the how close these sites are together, where there really is no definitive area where one site starts and ends. I tend to like my space. I would most likely visit again if I had to, but I would definitely avoid the warmer months, as the humidity in this area is very high. If you plan on going through these months, it's advisable to make sure you pay for hook ups, as you're going to need your A/C throughout the day.

Thumb img 20170525 140118 001
John & BJ
Mesa, AZ
19 Scamp
2017 Ram 1500

John & BJ would stay here again

“Hot Showers!”

Reviewed Jan 01, 2015

After winding our way for several days through gold rush country north of Chinese Camp which Verizon hadn't discovered yet, we stopped here based on location and price. Water/Electric site for $20 with hot showers and a dump on site was a pretty good deal. It's a county park with a variety of sites - some fairly large. We were there in mid April, 2013. The mosquitos along the creek were biting but with the antenna and amplifier we had 5 bars of Verizon. Great stop for an overnight.

about Sycamore Ranch Park & Campground?

• horseshoes

Wheatland, California
Travelhome RV Park
All Rite RV
Yuba City, California
Lake of the springs thousand trails
Lake of the Springs Thousand Trails