Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino

575-874-5200

Pad Type: asphalt

Teo

26 TT

Teo would stay here again

“Best deal in El Paso”

Reviewed Mar 02, 2018

Previous reviewer pretty much nailed it, it's exactly how they described it but I'm giving it 4-stars simply because it's the best deal in El Paso, even though that's not saying much. I had driven 8 hours and was ready to sleep in the Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot but saw the billboard for Sunland and figured I'd check it out. Was pretty pleased to find I could have electric and water hookups for $15 (cash only). There's only a few spots (8?) and they are first come, first served. It filled up when I was there on a Thursday night, so you may want a backup plan if you need hookups. You can call ahead and they'll tell you how many spots are left but they can go quickly. Security is very attentive and friendly. Fair amount of street noise, frequent train and super bright lights above the RV area. Decent casino and a bunch of food options both on the property and nearby. Also the RV area is right by the horse training area so you can watch them do their exercises in the morning before your 10am check out. For a quick overnight there's not a better price to be had in El Paso.

Thumb cooters
CootersOnTheGo
SD
35 Arctic Fox 29-5K
2001 Dodge Ram 3500

CootersOnTheGo would stay here again

“If you want to save $$$ and MUST stay in the El Paso area then it's a decent option.”

Reviewed Apr 30, 2017

We ended up having to stay in the El Paso area for two nights. I checked and none of the RV sites were that appealing. The pictures of KOA made it look like a gravel lot and they wanted $40 a night.

So though I knew this was a parking lot, at $15 a night it seemed like the best option.

It's only about 2 miles from the freeway so access is easy. But don't expect much, basically the put power and water pedestals in the middle of their parking lot. They do have a free sewer dump but it is on the other side of the property, so I recommend dumping before you set up or as you leave (depends on your needs).

Checking in was a bit of a process, as you have to do it at the security desk at the casino, a fair walk from the RV sites, especially on a 98 degree day. The security staff was SUPER friendly but they do require a copy of your ID and payment is IN CASH. I didn't realize that, and my laziness pushed me to just pull money out of the ATM their at the casino rather then walk back and forth across the hot parking lot to get cash from the RV. So their ATM and my bank fees for the ATM added $6 to my total cost. But still $18 a night seemed better then $40.

I am not a big fan of casinos, but did take a lap through the casino there and it seemed rather clean and well kept. The restaurants appear to have a decent menu though we didn't eat at any of them.

A big downside was the lighting. The parking lot is REALLY lit up, and since these spaces are right in the middle of the parking lot, you get lots of bright light. From a security perspective it is great, no one lurking in dark corners, but if you don't have dark window shades it is going to feel like daytime pretty much 24x7.

The casino is not open 24 hours a day, but it is nice to see they take security seriously. One night I was up at 2am and another at 5am to walk the puppy. Both times I saw security driving around in their trucks.

The place can be a bit noisy as it seems to be a popular place for trucks to park and there isn't a fantastic place for walking dogs, just some places that are doable.

You are about 20 minutes to actual downtime El Paso, but within a few mile radius is every restaurant, big box store, etc. that you can think of. So you should be able to accomplish most any task or errand with ease. We never felt uncomfortable leaving the rig to go grab a bite to eat or run an errand.

All in all I was not impressed with El Paso, it felt kind of junky to me (doesn't feel like a great descriptor but can't think of a better one) and there is a ton of construction. So I don't plan on going to El Paso again BUT if I do I would rather stay here for a few nights then an RV park that is only slightly more then a parking lot for more then double the price.

about Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino?

• casino
  • restaurant

Sunland park dump station
Sunland Park Dump Station
Sunland Park, New Mexico
Gaslight square mobile home rv park
Gaslight Square Mobile Home & RV Park
Franklin Mountains State Park
Walmart
Parking Lot
El Paso, Texas
Anthony el paso west koa
Anthony-El Paso West KOA