Stephen Austin State Park

GearheadGeek
TX
26 Airstream Flying Cloud 26U
2017 Ford F150 Lariat

GearheadGeek would stay here again

“A convenient stop west of Houston”

Reviewed Apr 10, 2017

I stayed here as an overnight stop on the way home on a longer trip. It's not far off I-10, but far enough that it's quiet and calm. The RV sites are pull-through and full hookups, both of which are a bit unusual for Texas state parks.

Office staff are friendly and helpful... I called in the morning of the day I arrived because it was a last-minute decision for me, I was just too far from home to make the whole drive. They told me since I'd be arriving after the office closed and wanted to renew my TX State Parks card to just come to the A flat tire on the way put me behind schedule and another call to the office while they were still open assured me that I could get to a site when I finally arrived.

T-mo basically doesn't work, especially inside the Airstream. Sprint only picks up 3G. AT&T and Verizon work but aren't particularly fast.

My omnidirectional antenna with an amplifier only had mediocre reception... lots of pixellation and frozen images on most channels.

Sprint 3G
T-Mobile 4G/LTE

lifenomadic would stay here again

“Perfect!”

Reviewed Mar 18, 2016

This place is beautiful. The campground sits under giant moss dripping oaks and though many of the trails were closed due to flooding, the ones that were open were awesome. Spring flowers blooming everywhere! The sites were roomy with picnic tables and cement pads. Bathrooms were rustic but serviceable. I could have stayed longer but they kicked us out. Spring Break!
I would definitely go back.
Cell service was sketchy.
If you're spending time in Texas it's worth buying the state parks pass to avoid the daily entrance fee which is $5 (per person) on top of the daily camping fee.

about Stephen Austin State Park?

Coushatte Recreation Ranch