Spite Hill Fishing Access Site

Overview of Spite Hill Fishing Access Site

Elevation 3,444 ft / 1,049 m

Max Stay 14

Q&A - Ask the Community about Spite Hill Fishing Access Site

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Spite Hill Fishing Access Site

Reviews of Spite Hill Fishing Access Site 1 person has reviewed this location.

“Beautiful site along the Missouri River Canyon”

Reviewed 9/4/2018

Site Number: NA

I stumbled upon this site last week when I decided to get off the interstate and explore Old US 91 through the Missouri River Canyon in Montana between Great Falls and Helena. It's just a 10 minute drive south of Tower Rock State Park. The hill and cliff across the river (maybe that's Spite Hill?) is striking!

A few days later a friend and I decided to go up to Glacier National Park for a couple days. She only had about 60 hours off work, so we needed to hit the road from Bozeman as soon as she got off work at 9pm. We weren't entirely sure where we'd stop to rest that first night, but as we drove I remembered this spot. I looked it up online and found that free camping was allowed for up to 14 nights! We arrived well past midnight, but since we were in a hard shell there was nothing to setup. We enjoyed the stars and the sound of the occasional jumping fish for a bit before turning in to bed.

In the morning we just couldn't get over how beautiful the place was. We set out a picnic blanket, made some breakfast, watched the fishermen in their boats out on the river, my friend played her flute, and we just relaxed and enjoyed a lazy outdoor morning. We loved this place so much that we didn't end up making it to Glacier until late afternoon!

There was some trash on the bank, and the interstate was definitely within earshot, but neither detracted much from the experience. We did not use the restroom facilities, so I can't speak to their condition.

Highly recommend!

Verizon

Be the first to add a note for Spite Hill Fishing Access Site!

Be the first to add a video for Spite Hill Fishing Access Site!

Have you written a blog post about Spite Hill Fishing Access Site?

• boat ramp