Spider Rock Campground

877-910-2267

Pad Type: dirt

Verizon Extended
Site Number: A5

Mo would stay here again

“Glad to have camped here”

Reviewed Mar 03, 2018

On our recent 2 week Southwest camping trip, our last campground was where we could see Canyon de Chelly as close as possible.
Unsure of the demand in early March I called Spider Rock and was told to secure a campsite that I needed to send in a check for $14, which I did about a month beforehand. Sure enough when we arrived our name and designated campsite was on a board at the entry.
Howard the owner/ operator came up well after we set up to meet and greet us. Very nice fellow. Tho we left early in the morning I hear that he often plays a flute at sunrise, giving a mystical aura to the area.
I was extra curious to see this place because I had read reviews that ranged from either “Great” or “terrible”.
It was certainly “funky”. It is minimal in terms of amenities. Port a potties for bathrooms. No showers, No running water, just tanks of available water in the back of a pick up truck. The sites themselves were well spaced with plenty of juniper trees for cover and ambiance. There are some traditional hogans for rent. Even tho they are simple with dirt floors, they were neat and tidy.
There is only one public hiking trail at Canyon de Chelly, so the additional 3 mile trail from the campsite was a welcome addition for us hikers.
The previous night we had paid $31 at an RV park in Holbrook, which was like a huge parking lot right near the Interstate. The bathrooms were uninviting, the hosts were unfriendly, it had all of the hook-ups
, showers and even free stale muffns but the place had the ambiance of on old shoe. It was a striking contrast to Spider Rock.
Spider Rock is basic, a bit rough but in a wonderfully isolated location. Much closer to “ real camping”
This is a place to remember. For me it was “great”

Verizon Extended

about Spider Rock Campground?

• cabins
  • firewood

Cottonwood campground canyon de chelly
Cottonwood Campground