Question about Shavano Wildlife Management Area Dispersed Camping

Spruce Goose Rv adventures asked on 7/8/2022

How are the dirt roads on 250? Are they rough?

Chuck
Chuck
Tucson, AZ
24' Winnebago Trend

Answered on 7/20/2022:

Just make sure you have good ground clearance on your vehicle. My front wheel drive Trend has a long rear overhang and low clearance and I did not feel comfortable going in further than the first large area where there were plenty of spots to house from
Tarrah
Tarrah
CO
42' Grand Design Solitdue 380FL
Ford F350

Answered on 7/15/2022:

When you hit the dirt road it is rough but we made it up no problem in our 350 pulling a 35' fifth wheel. It's bumpy, but worth it. We saw a lot of different vehicles up there, from busses and Class As to teardrops and tent campers.
keener
keener
TX
17' Custom custom
Ram 3500

Answered on 7/11/2022:

There is one spot on the road ascending the mountain (hill?) where a creek has washed it out. Just keep your wheels on the high points. Many kinds of vehicles have made it, but I'm sure it takes a toll on the suspension.
Loving Every Mile
Loving Every Mile
Livingston, TX
Grand Design 303RLS
Ford F250 Superduty 4X4

Answered on 7/9/2022:

The roads vary by year to year. I agree that it gets quite rough once you hit the BLM land. I didn't feel like bouncing my 5th wheel around in there this year

Answered on 7/9/2022:

We were there last Fall and the road in wash a little “washboardy” but not terrible. We drove in with our Promaster van and had no real issue.
izifaddag
izifaddag
TX
Converted enclosed cargo trailer

Answered on 7/8/2022:

From 50 up until the split it is fine. Just a normal hardtop 2 lane. Then you get to a split or a fork. For Shavano you go to the left. Still not bad until you actually enter the BLM land. It then starts becoming progressively more rough. A couple of miles in and it is tough. Steep slopes and the road is just a collection of boulders. Yet I have seen many expensive A's do it just fine. My cargo carrier and pickup truck made it ok. Camp in a spot that looks designated, often hard to tell but try. I got a word from a ranger over my choice.