Overview of Schoolhouse Canyon Campground
Number of Sites 25
Elevation 65 ft / 19 m
Max Length 25 ft
Tent Camping Yes
Sponsored by RELiON Batteries
Q&A - Ask the Community about Schoolhouse Canyon Campground
Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Schoolhouse Canyon Campground
Reviews of Schoolhouse Canyon Campground 1 person has reviewed this location.
“Worst California camping experience”
- Cleanest bathrooms!
- Nice hand soap
- It is VERY LOUD: 50 yards from River Road: traffic all day, and ALL NIGHT.
- To get to the river, children must cross a street that has fast-driving semi-trucks. 3 INCONVENIENT to carry kids, + supplies across highway + guard rails, curbs, a locked gate, and dirt stairs if you use strollers.
- DIRTY “swimming” area, is dust, mud, + rocks. Water is muddy: your kids will be covered in mud.
- Your campsite will be TOO CLOSE TO OTHER TENTS 10 feet away.
- There’s NO CELL SIGNAL or internet connectivity: so there’s no way to locate other points of interest outside this campground without asking the owner.
- THE OWNER, Ranger Chris, is a HOSTILE HOST.
You’re staying in someone’s personal domain, as I learned too late. “On our first night Ranger Chris vehemently confronted me with an ultimatum: “LAST WARNING: YOU, YOUR KID, & YOUR DOG EITHER GO TO BED NOW, OR YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM MY PROPERTY TONIGHT!” It was just after dinner at about 8-9pm. We weren’t playing music. My little dog is friendly and doesn’t bark. I’m sure I bothered no one but Ranger Chris. We split 2 bottles of white wine between 3 adults. That’s 3.5 glasses each. I know about nuisance campers. No one found us a nuisance except owner Chris. The kids were playing with our little dog & away from us twice. A 3rd time he caught me breaking another rule: disturbing no one but him, and yet he threatened to have my family removed from his property. He said, “You’re drunk!”.
I didn’t argue what-so-ever. We went to bed right away and left the next morning.
To be fair, it can’t be easy to run this campground with the problems he must face there. I like that he keeps bathrooms immaculately clean with nice hand soap! I hope this review conveys for you, fellow campers, and what you will find at Schoolhouse canyon. If you need a decent place to camp nearby, *as long as you’re not bothering others: Consider ANY other location such Mirabel park 10 mins down the road. Children can enjoy camping anywhere. Even next to a freeway. But families with their children & pets who want to relax with more privacy, this is NOT it.
This review is the opinion of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com
Be the first to add a note for Schoolhouse Canyon Campground!
Be the first to add a video for Schoolhouse Canyon Campground!
Have you written a blog post about Schoolhouse Canyon Campground?
Contact us to update this listing.
- dry camping
- swimming beach
- water access
- fire ring
- picnic table
- restrooms: flush
- water available
- pet restrictions: $5/night, breed restrictions
Agree w everything Pete reviewed
Nice little campground - be prepared for steep switchbacks
- Jim G
Keep coming back
- Mike & Leslie
Provided the basics, but would not return
- Story is Our Way Home
I live in the neighborhood
Please select a reason for flagging this item: