San Rafael Bridge

Ford F-150, 2 wheel drive
Site Number: N/A
“Really Primitive”

Reviewed Jul 23, 2018

I was planning to camp at the San Rafael Bridge recreation area (actually called Swinging Bridge North and South Campground) but I decided I didn't want to subject my truck and trailer to a 20 mile dirt road.

I travel with a motorcycle so I knew I would be riding the area anyway so I stayed at the Buckhorn Draw area which is less than 2 miles off I-70 and an awesome place (see Campendium reviews).

I wanted to provide a review for anyone else that may be considering the Swinging Bridge campground (7/23/2018). First, the condition of the road varies from pretty good to pretty rough and that's on a dry day. I was very happy that I decided not to drive it. The campgrounds are in a beautiful setting on the mostly dry San Rafael River. The south campground looks to be for tenters, the sites are small and there's no shade. The north campground is much nicer with larger sites and some shade trees. There's also a really nice equestrian campground accessed through the north campground.

After staying at Buckhorn Draw and checking out the other campgrounds, I would not stay at the other campgrounds. However, if you're a tent camper and you plan to drive Buckhorn Draw Road anyway, it might be worth staying out there.

about San Rafael Bridge?

Wedge overlook
Wedge Overlook
Emery, Utah
Buckhorn draw
Buckhorn Draw
Black Dragon View Area
Green River, Utah
Spotted wolf canyon view area
Spotted Wolf Canyon View Area