Question about San Luis State Wildlife Area Campground

DaveKiwi asked on 6/12/2021

I'm considering going to this campground on Mon night for 1 night so we can be close to the Sanddunes. Wondering if I will be able to find a spot at this time of the year? We have a confirmed reservation at Alvarado campground which is 2.5 hours away. Should I go for it and hope I get a space closer or stick with the confirmed option? Appreciate any perspectives.

Camptown Races
KS
21' Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS

Answered on 6/13/2021:

There are lots and lots of spaces there. Remember to have your water tank filled as there is no water there. There is a dump station and electricity. Also remember that you will need a Colorado fishing license to stay there. You can get one at a nearby Mosca, just down the street. Have fun.
DJ
Lufkin, TX
Dodge Ram 1500

Answered on 6/15/2021:

sorry just got the email you should be able to find a spot good luck safe travels
Bink
Bluffton, SC
Retro 509

Answered on 6/13/2021:

We stayed here last year. July 2020. Loved it overlooking the sand dunes. I would take a chance. You do need a hunting or fishing license which we did NOT have but host let us stay for 1 night free. Our plan was camp at Zapata Falls(outside gates of Great Sand Dunes) but the road was very rough so we took a chance and San Louis and lots of space.(another option if San Louis is full). The night sky here is unbelievable. Here is our review so hope it helps. http://travelswithgg.com/hiking-the-great-sand-dunes-national-park-san-louis-recreational-area/

Answered on 6/12/2021:

There are many campgrounds closer than 2.5 hours from Great Sand Dunes NP. If you must have hookups, find an RV park in Alamosa. And San Luis Lakes is not free. Everyone 16 and over must have a CPW pass or license to camp there. So, you should do what makes you most comfortable.
Ride, Dive and Be Murray
TX
44' Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP plus Hydralift
2016 Subaru Crosstrek

Answered on 6/12/2021:

We were there later in the year, but I would expect you could find a spot, if you’re not real big, or real picky. There are quite a few sites, but there were several I am not sure our big rig could’ve stayed in.