San Luis Pass County Park

Seattle, WA
30 Airstream 30FB Bunk
2015 GMC Denali HD

Big Big Trippers would stay here again

“An older, well-maintained County Park on the Texas Coast - good for a short stop, but wouldn't recommend for longer tourist stays.”

Reviewed Feb 18, 2017

With a last minute change of plans, we were left looking for a place to spend the weekend in the Galveston Island area. Although there are about a dozen campground options, we couldn’t get a site at the state park and we remain skeptical of most private RV parks without firsthand experience or reliable reviews. That led us to San Luis Pass County Park.

Located on the northwestern side of San Luis Pass, the county park is situated on a point just across the toll bridge ($2 toll for our truck and trailer in Feb 2017) from Galveston Island. We drove in from Louisiana via highway 87, utilizing the free Port Bolivar-Galveston Island Ferry, and the Termini-San Luis Pass Road. The San Luis Pass is a well-known fishing area and the park and campground was busy with fishermen throughout our stay.

While the sites were fairly close together, the campground was pretty empty during our stay. We selected one of the “pull through” sites, which are actually two co-joined back-in sites. If we had to do over, we would have probably picked one of the outer back-in sites in order to enjoy the water views. There were a few long-termers parked there for the winter, but nothing crazy and their sites were clean and well kept.

Other reviewers on Google complained about noise, but we didn’t have any problems with that during our stay. While there were fishermen on the beach overnight, the campground is separated from the beach and the rest of the park by a gate, fencing, and a seawall. The gate was closed throughout our stay. The only noise we had to deal with was from a pile driver from the home construction in the area.

The park employees were friendly and very easy going. As it was pretty windy during our stay, I wanted to wash the salt-spray off our trailer before traveling inland to Austin. I decided to ask if I could wash my trailer and their response was, “Sure, no problem…you’re paying for the water!” They even asked the next day if we had any issues.

The park office has a little “nature” exhibit going on that our 6-year old boy liked. The bathhouse was elevated on pilings (which is cool, but could be an issue for older or infirm travelers) and was well maintained and clean.

The park’s main beach area is an easy walk and is open to traffic. Due to strong currents in the area, swimming is not recommended. However, I launched my SUP from the campground into the sound area (around the point from the channel) from the mucky beach area near the bathhouse and had no issues.

We received all the major OTA TV channels and the park’s WiFi was average. We had 50amp electric, with full water and sewer hook-ups. I don’t remember the specifics on our cell reception, but it wasn’t impressive.

The park is at least a 25-minute drive from civilization, so make sure you’re stocked up stuff before arriving. There was a small convenience store located on the main drag, but we never stopped there so I can’t comment on it. If you were planning on using this as a base for visiting Galveston Island, I would rethink those plans due to the distances; there are better options for that on Galveston Island. If you were looking for a quiet place to unwind and hangout, this may be a good choice.

Frankly, I’m torn if we would stay here again. If the timing worked out and I were planning on doing a lot of fishing, San Luis Pass County Park would be great. If just passing through, it would do the trick. Coming to spend some time sightseeing…probably not.

about San Luis Pass County Park?

• wifi: free

Galveston, Texas
Brazoria beach
Brazoria Beach
Surfside Beach, Texas
The breeze hotel rv park
The Breeze Hotel & RV Park