Rough Creek Park

Max Stay: 10

Majken

25 Arctic Fox 24-5N
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD

Majken would stay here again

“Boondocking in Texas! At a lake!”

Reviewed Apr 20, 2017

Location Edit:
This park is located at 2209 S. Morgan. GPS coordinates are 32.418446, -97.786685

I may be fairly new at this (3.5 months on the road, 3rd time boondocking), but trying to find boondocking in Texas is difficult. After much research, I decided on Rough Creek Park at Lake Granbury. I'm headed to Fort Worth tomorrow to attend a music festival over the weekend, so hanging out at this free camping spot for the week prior made a lot of sense.

I arrived with much more anxiety than I should have...I got stuck in traffic on 35 and arrived later in the day than I wanted to. I was very concerned about the park being full of other RVs enjoying free camping. The park was much smaller than I anticipated, and I was the only RV...where the heck do I park this thing? Is the Brazos River Authority going to run me off? I'm sure I am SUPPOSED to park where the boaters park, but if I wanted to hang out in an asphalt parking lot for a week I'd go to Walmart. I decided to park over in what I call the "day-use area". I pulled the Fox onto some gravel next to some shady cedar trees that block the afternoon sun. I even decided to hang up my hammock (best decision ever!).

Rough Creek Park is a small park between a busy road and a residential neighborhood. There are restrooms, but I have not gone in them. There is a boat ramp, a fishing pier, and a dock for the boaters. It is within walking distance of a convenience store, Stumpy's (Taco Tuesday and margaritas), and the marina, where you can rent a kayak or a pontoon boat. Its a fairly busy park, but I haven't seen it crowded. Most picnic tables remain empty. Many people come here to fish or eat lunch during the week. The Brazos River Authority Police patrols the park a few times a day. There were a few tent campers while I was here, as well as people sleeping in their cars.

I will say that because this place is so public, and because I am the only RV here, I do feel nervous about leaving my RV for more than a few hours. I also considered moving to De Cordova Bend park, which would also be an excellent choice to boondock. I drove over to De Cordova Bend to check it out...its a little more in the country than this place, and larger. I was there on a Saturday, and there were lots of people tent camping along the waters edge, and some small RVs in the trees. I decided to stay at Rough Creek because it is in closer proximity to public places (this downside also has an upside because I am a solo female traveler; maybe a facade of safety, but this doesn't seem to be a dangerous part of town) and the current orientation of my RV and the cedar trees kept it cooler in the afternoon.

So, this place is noisy, and there is some trash and dead fish (but plenty of receptacles), but its free, and on a lake! It's really close to town for groceries (HEB, Walmart, and some other grocery chains). I enjoyed watching the ducks/geese around the park, as well as sitting in my hammock and watching the boats. Nobody has bothered me, or complained when I had to run my generator to keep my batteries charged. If I come back I'll try De Cordova Bend for a change of pace, but Rough Creek is a decent spot.

about Rough Creek Park?