Rod & Gun Campground

Roughlock Falls Rd. Lead, SD 57754 605-673-9200 Official Website

• Video
  • Reviews (2)

Overview of Rod & Gun Campground

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Pad Type gravel

Open Seasonally Yes

Elevation 5,380 ft / 1,639 m

View Map

Supporter Subscription

Become a Campendium Supporter and enjoy ad-free browsing plus bonus features!

• Cell Coverage Maps

$20 Billed Annually

Featured Video by Campendium360

Q&A - Ask the Community about Rod & Gun Campground

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Rod & Gun Campground

Reviews of Rod & Gun Campground 2 people have reviewed this location.

Last reported 9/13/2020
“Peaceful setting”

Reviewed 9/13/2020

We arrived here on a Thursday night in early Sept to find only 2 spots open. Sites 1 and 2 are really just one space and 1 was taken by an RV and toy hauler so 2 wasn’t really an option. A tent camper did later take that spot. We ended up in 4 which is across from the toilet. Toilet was being cleaned. Grass was mowed but pretty long around edges of sites. Beautiful backdrop of high cliffs and forest. We had hoped to hike the Rimrock Trail which can be accessed from the last spot in the CG. However it was closed since they’d had a tornado about 2 months ago. Lots of trees broken off. Instead we hiked from Roughlock Falls to Spearfish Falls and back which was about 3 miles rt. Would stay here again but price seemed a little high for what is basically boondocking - pit toilet, fire ring and picnic table. Road in was good dirt road. Quite a bit of 4 wheeler use on the road.

vapersecutor would stay here again

CootersOnTheGo
SD
35' Arctic Fox 29-5K
2001 Dodge Ram 3500
“Fantastic If You Don't Need Cell”

Reviewed 4/9/2017

Really nice / small National Forest CG. When we arrived the CG was open but the payment box was removed as were all signs regarding payment. We have seen this in other parts of the country where after a certain date they remove the host and stop charging but keep the CG open mainly for hunters. I assume that is the case here, so don't rely on my "Free" stay as accurate pricing.

Campground was small, only about 6 sites. Only a few of them large enough for a larger rig. Most designed for smaller trailers / tent camping. It's basically a cul-de-sac, so no real large turn around at the end. We took space #2, and it was easier for me to do a multi point turn up where we were to redirect myself to the exit then it would have been to try and make a u-turn at the end of the drive. I can see where those with larger rigs may have to back out.

You're basically in a canyon and while this is beautiful it means there is just about no cell signal. I tried for over an hour to aim my directional antenna (connected to my booster) trying to find a way where I could bounce it off the cliff walls to get a signal, but it just wasn't happening. We had enough signal to get a text out (on Verizon) and that was it.

So after one very quiet night we had to leave as I needed coverage.

There is another campground up the road a bit, even less people there and more remote, but again no useable cell signal.

The Rod & Gun Campground is just up the road from a popular falls, and picnic type day spot. So while the Rod & Gun CG was nearly empty and very quiet, the drive up had a decent amount of traffic.

4 - 5 Stars if you can be unconnected. Probably 2 if you require a connection like us.

[Actual Stay 10/02/16]

CootersOnTheGo would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Rod & Gun Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Rod & Gun Campground!

JuneBugJourneys
Indianapolis, IN
28' Airstream Globetrotter
2016 Ford F-250
Canyons and Towers - June Bug Journeys

Spearfish Canyon When we began planning this long trip to the northwest, Bob and I listed places we “wanted” to see, some we “hoped”...

Timon Campground

Already want to come back here…

- Ruby_RedVan