Rod & Gun Campground

Lead, SD 57754
605-673-9200

Pad Type: gravel
Open Seasonally: Yes

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Thumb cooters
CootersOnTheGo
SD
35 Arctic Fox 29-5K
2001 Dodge Ram 3500

CootersOnTheGo would stay here again

“Fantastic If You Don't Need Cell”

Reviewed Apr 09, 2017

Really nice / small National Forest CG. When we arrived the CG was open but the payment box was removed as were all signs regarding payment. We have seen this in other parts of the country where after a certain date they remove the host and stop charging but keep the CG open mainly for hunters. I assume that is the case here, so don't rely on my "Free" stay as accurate pricing.

Campground was small, only about 6 sites. Only a few of them large enough for a larger rig. Most designed for smaller trailers / tent camping. It's basically a cul-de-sac, so no real large turn around at the end. We took space #2, and it was easier for me to do a multi point turn up where we were to redirect myself to the exit then it would have been to try and make a u-turn at the end of the drive. I can see where those with larger rigs may have to back out.

You're basically in a canyon and while this is beautiful it means there is just about no cell signal. I tried for over an hour to aim my directional antenna (connected to my booster) trying to find a way where I could bounce it off the cliff walls to get a signal, but it just wasn't happening. We had enough signal to get a text out (on Verizon) and that was it.

So after one very quiet night we had to leave as I needed coverage.

There is another campground up the road a bit, even less people there and more remote, but again no useable cell signal.

The Rod & Gun Campground is just up the road from a popular falls, and picnic type day spot. So while the Rod & Gun CG was nearly empty and very quiet, the drive up had a decent amount of traffic.

4 - 5 Stars if you can be unconnected. Probably 2 if you require a connection like us.

[Actual Stay 10/02/16]

Thumb 13310591 1125644434165082 4024303462676195082 n
Canyons and Towers - June Bug Journeys

Spearfish Canyon When we began planning this long trip to the northwest, Bob and I listed places we “wanted” to see, some we “hoped”...

Timon campground
Spearfish, South Dakota
Chris campground
Chris' Campground
Spearfish, South Dakota
Whistler gulch campground rv park
Whistler Gulch Campground & RV Park