River Campground

BruceM
Kennewick, WA
32 Airstream Excella 1000
2011 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
“Followed GPS to the give coordinates just to check it out for further reference.”

Reviewed Apr 11, 2017

First, to clarify, this is for the Rec area #2, otherwise known as the Fallon side (East side) of the Reservoir. I think the previous review is for Rec area #1, Silver Spring/West side. See “You are here” map in the pictures.
I followed my GPS from downtown Fallon. It took me West on route 50 (Reno highway), then left on Carson highway (about 8 miles from town center). About 2.5 miles down the Carson highway, the Garmin said to turn left (Big sign for the Reservoir), then right and go 6.5 miles on a dirt road. DO NOT go this way. Stay on the Carson Highway (65mph nice blacktop) for about 6.5 miles then turn left at the next sign for the State Park. Following the GPS you will come to the fee booth, which was closed (take a permit envelope). About 200' past the fee booth, the GPS directs you to turn right on a dirt road to the River Campground. The GPS coordinates given are right in the CG.

The campground is just downstream from the dam and very small. Only 11 campsites, some are pull-thru. The road dead ends at a turn-around. It would be a tight fit for any rig over 25' - 30'. I was in just my F-250 and could have made the turn pulling my 32' Airstream IF there were no other vehicles in the turn-around. See Pictures.
Back out to the road, turn right and continue into the park. After another few hundred feet, see the sign for Day use, restrooms, showers, dump station. This takes you to the dam overlook, picnic area, dump, and restrooms (2) and showers (3). Restrooms/showers were closed when we were here.
Continuing on down the paved road out of the Day use area, the signs and map show 11 Beaches. I went to Beach #1 to look. Tent camping Ok but not RV friendly. I did not have time to investigate the other 10 beaches.

Thumb 1926935 606505542753672 1849089407 n 420x420
Nathan @ Wand'rly

14 Volkswagen Bus, Champagne Edition, Riviera Campwagen

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

“Talk about a good lookin' sky!”

Reviewed Oct 16, 2015

Let me be the first to say that, if you find yourself at a dump station with a small picnic area and a dirt road by the bathroom that seems like you can boondock there, you're on the wrong side of the reservoir. Go back to the main road, hang a right, then the next right. Pass the ranger station. Pass the entrance booth. Go left. The spots are almost impossible to find, but any of the "Beach #X" sand roads will lead you to two spots. RVs really can't make it down to the actual spots, but at least in October the ranger was down with us parking in the parking lots, which were just big sand lots on plateaus overlooking the incredibly low reservoir. No one else seemed to be camping in the entire park. It was incredibly serene, and peaceful, save the occasional fighter jet breaking wind in the distance.

We watched big black beetles struggle to climb the sand dunes as much as we did ourselves. The sun set above the clouds even as the sky below and beyond them remained blue, then we watched it set a second time, brilliant violet. Man, you really missed it. Where were you guys?

Anyway, I have this girl we keep around who brings us cell reception. Her service was ridiculously poor for the first hour, showing up occasionally with a small platter of E, maybe one or two tasteless bars for us all to share. I was barely able to access my Stock Widget let alone download the HD version of every single Tim Burton movie.

Later, I presume after some sort of stern reprimand from our aging chocolate lab (who has no tolerance for guffaw, rigamarole or hootenanny), she showed up again, this time dressed up in her finest 4G and dropping bars like a power lifter with scoliosis.

Would have loved to stay here longer if we weren't high-tailing it to the land of far away.

about River Campground?

Lahontan Dam RV Dump Station
Silver springs beach campground
Silver Springs Beach Campground
Silver Springs, Nevada
Silver springs rv dump station
Silver Springs RV Dump Station