Redondo Campground

Greg - Sock Monke...
Los Alamos, NM
20 Nissan NV 2500 High TOP - Homemade Camper Van

Greg - Sock Monkey Trekker would stay here again

“Small Campground in trees”

Reviewed Sep 06, 2016

My wife and I stayed here with my parents. We were in camper vans. It's a nice small campground. It's in an area of tall trees. It's an older forest service campground. We had a nice time here. Some spots will take longer rigs but there aren't pull-throughs that I recall. Lots of families like this campground. I prefer the Jemez Falls campground that is just west a ways. My parents like the San Antonio campground that has hookups that is east of here. Across the highway is the Dark Canyon Overlook that is worth a visit. You can walk to it easily. There is a good view there and a bathroom. Nearby there is the East Fork Trail for a nice hike. You are near the Valles Caldera National Preserved, which is fun to visit. The Banco Bonito entrance to the Valles Caldera is just west. There are a couple fun restaurants in Jemez Springs about 20 minutes away. Jemez Falls is worth a visit to see the falls and take a short hike (not accessible for those with mobility problems). Two camping vehicles are allowed per site thus my parents and we were able to share a site, which was nice.

There is a boondocking disperesed camping area just west of the Dark Canyon Overlook but you need high clearance and it's a little dicey driving in there as it's bumpy and the trees are a little close to the ruff dirt road. I have seen folks get pop-up trailers back into that area. If you hike a bit west from dark Canyon you can find these spots.

I believe cell coverage is poor in this area way up in the mountains.

about Redondo Campground?