Question about Purgatoire Campground

pezman asked on 3/27/2021

Recreation.gov website says Purgatoire Campground is not accessible for most RV's, I guess due to the road not being maintained. Is the road from Highway 12 to the campground that bad? I have reservations for June, 2021. I'll be pulling a 27 foot travel trailer with a pickup.

goeb
TX
23' Lance 1995
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

Answered on 3/28/2021:

I was there mid July last year. I have similar rig as you . No problem diving back there. Unless if perhaps there has been very heavy rains . Nice CG . Good local hiking . Cuchara is interesting little town . Can also fish nearby .

Answered on 3/28/2021:

Hi I think you’ll be OK. I pulled a 22ft Airstream no problem. Road is washboard and 4 miles if I remember correctly. But other than washboard and slow going I did not experience any issues that would cause me concern. Google had me turn off a 1/8 mile too soon and the road was over grown and scratched my Airstream.... so turn where the sign says “Purgatory”. One loop of the campground might be tight for a 27 ft, but the larger primary loop is flat with gentle turns. Having said all that thinks can change on the road condition so might be worth scouting without rig if your concerned or cautious! Good Luck.

Answered on 3/28/2021:

The road isn't that bad unless you have rain (or snow), but it IS narrow and can be dicy if you pass people going up and down. A bigger question is the campground. The first few sites would probably work for something your size, as it the open field, but if you go to the "top" it might be hard to make the turns.