Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park

VeganRV
Box Elder, SD
34 Winnebago Adventurer
2002 Subaru Forester

VeganRV would stay here again

“What a park!!”

Reviewed Dec 29, 2017

Total mind melt when walking from the woods and end up at the prairie. The park was great and we had plenty of room between the sites, we could see our neighbors, but didn’t feel like a sardine.

Great biking (even though I flipped over my handlebars because a bee flew into my beard) throughout the park. Paved and unpaved surfaces, as well as some off-road through the prairie. We saw the wild horses and an alligator, but no bison.

One of our top spots to camp, for sure!

Thumb 1926935 606505542753672 1849089407 n 420x420
Nathan @ Wand'rly

14 Volkswagen Bus, Champagne Edition, Riviera Campwagen

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

“They say you can see bison...”

Reviewed Jan 10, 2015

Our campsite was great. A bit small for a state park, but average for Florida state parks.

There are a few trails, one in particular that promises / mentions you might be able to see wild horse, bison and alligators. We saw none of those, but did come across tons of beautiful Floridian foliage, from spanish moss hanging out of live oak trees to palm trees galore (of course!)

We also saw great blue herons, great egrets, and various other smaller birds. Not a ton of mosquitos, but lots of insects and snail-type things if you want to look for them.

My favorite encounter here was while trying to back in. I mean, I'm not a master of backing up the Airstream, but I'm not a novice either. It was just one of those long driving days where a few wrong turns and my screaming children had me disheveled as I went to back into a rather easy spot...

An older gentleman, wife beater tight to his belly and a big smile on his face, approaches the driver side window.

"Hi I'm Jerry," he stuck his hand out, "and I'm a retired truck driver of 40 years and one of your campground hosts, can I help you back up?"

I've learned that no one outside of my family should help me back up, as you know, they're not responsible for any slip ups that may occur, so I politely declined.

I then took about 45 minutes to get us into place, and ended up being significantly crooked.

I'm still wondering if I should have just handed the keys over to Jerry and called it a day. :)

Thumb veganrvr header logo

A brief stay at Paynes Prairie Our time at O’Leno State Park was briefly interrupted when...

• firewood

Sportman's Cove Resort
McIntosh, Florida
Kates Fish Camp
Gainesville, Florida
Grand lake rv golf resort
Grand Lake RV & Golf Resort