Question about Palo Duro Canyon State Park

CampingNerd asked on 1/14/2021

Could a a regular travel trailer with (1) 15k ducted AC, and (1) 13.k second unit keep the trailer cool enough in mid-June? I’m from Tennessee and used to heat with humidity. Wondering how West Texas heat is like.

The Moores
32' Jayco Eagle 5th wheel
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Diesel

Answered on 2/27/2021:

It probably can. We havex31 ft 5th wheel with a similar a/c set up and only use the smaller bed room a/c to cool our unit, if we are traveling during the day and the unit is hot from travel. The heat in West Texas is probably higher than what you are used to, but the humidity is generally lower.
Campin' Lansfords
33' Grand Design Reflection
Ford F250

Answered on 1/20/2021:

We were there in the Fall and had the opposite issue of snow, but we are native Texans and have camped for many years all over the state. Since the sites are 50amps and you should be able to run both of your AC units, I think your rig will cool down enough for a comfortable trip. That being said, definitely start your hiking early in the day because it gets really hot and bring a lot of water with you! Hope you enjoy your stay!
thecrazygoodlife.com
Jonesboro, GA
30' Jayco
Ford 2013 F-150 Ecoboost

Answered on 1/15/2021:

We have a 30' travel trailer with a 15k AC. It took a couple hours to cool it down once we got there with 104 degree heat but we slept fine at night.
Michigander
Spring Lake, MI
26' Airstream Flying Cloud 26U
Ford F150 Eco Boost

Answered on 1/15/2021:

Sorry I can't answer this question. We were there in the fall.
scojo07
31' Jayco 31BH
Ford F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Answered on 1/15/2021:

if you are staying in Palo Duro I would think so - I had only the 15k ducted and we survived Big Bend Ranch SP in June when it was hitting 99-105 regularly during a one week stay - Palo Duro will be cooler than that in June. Recommend Mesquite campsite and 85 87 88 or 90 campsites - 4 bars if you have AT
Denappy
CO
25' Thor Motor Coach Chateau 24F

Answered on 1/15/2021:

Depends really on how hot it gets. The good news is that is not usually very humid, so that can help a bunch, especially if you get a shaded site. It can be tough to cool if your in full sun as the canyon floor can easily get to 120f....hope that helps
DCSeeds
LA
Chevrolet Sportsmobile/Chevy Express 3500EB 20'Long and 9.5'high

Answered on 1/15/2021:

I would think so. I have an 11,000 BTU ac on a class B RV and was ablle stay cool with temps at about 103F in August.

Answered on 1/15/2021:

Sorry, we were there in the winter so I couldn’t give a good answer. If you look at the weather for that area, you should be able to determine if it’ll work for you.