North Toledo Bend State Park

MacBeTrippin
Waxahachie, TX
24 Starcraft Starmaster
2003 Honda Pilot

MacBeTrippin would stay here again

“Cool, shady, quiet get away for Spring Break”

Reviewed Mar 15, 2018

We snagged a spot here after our original Spring Break camping spot in Texas was canceled due to flooding.

I'm picky about sites, because I want to feel like I'm in nature over a parking lot. So, I was extremely happy with North Toledo Bend State Park. The campsite was huge. We could have fit 2 other large tents behind our camper and still have had room to run around. Space was plentiful around the fire ring also.

There were 30-amp and 50-amp hookups and water at the sites. Also, a dump station is available.

There are sites in the other loop for folks who want water access from their campsites. Access would be best for small watercraft like kayaks, fishing boats and paddle boards. For bigger boats, the ramp isn't far away. The lake itself, Toledo Bend Reservoir, is the largest man made body of water in the south and the 5th largest in the States. It's size has more to do with is meandering path, rather than necessarily breadth – making it perfect for bass fishing, and less attractive to speed boaters on the water (at least by the state park).

We saw fresh hog tracks throughout our campsite when we arrived, and an even fresher set one morning. A critter also got into our trash one night (I suspect a raccoon), so we hoisted the bin for the remainder. Lots of birds around. We saw cardinals, bluejays, bald eagles, hawks, etc.

There were a couple of nice piers for casual fishing and a 1.5-mile and 4-mile hiking trail if you want to do a little walking or running. The 4-mile trail was a bit marshy while we were there due to rain on the first night. Even then, it was a good little trek to feel like I got my exercise in.

Despite being Spring Break, our stay was extremely quiet. There was zero road noise, since the roads leading into Zwolle are mostly 2-lane highways. They didn't seem to attract frequent, large vehicles. You could occasionally hear the motor of a fishing boat beyond the trees during daytime. But, night was serene.

As is typical in pine forests in the Spring, expect a coating of yellow pollen on everything. Not a big deal – just broom it off. But, if you leave a coffee cup sitting on the picnic table for an hour, you will see the pollen. Our kids think it is fun at night to look up at the sky with headlamps on, because you can literally see streams of pollen floating all around you.

(Of course, pine pollen is supposedly an aphrodisiac, so perhaps make some of your own little blue pills while you're there. Yes, I'm joking.)

The bathrooms were clean. Nice showers.

Our family of 5 plus dog would definitely return.

AT&T Voice Only

about North Toledo Bend State Park?

San Miguel Park State Rec Area