North Sterling State Park

24005 CR-330
Sterling, CO 80751
970-522-3657

Shineylewis would stay here again

“Great experience (in off season)”

Reviewed Mar 30, 2017

We stayed last night, March 29th, 2017. We called ahead and inquired about availability, and was told there would be no problem, especially being a Wednesday. Well, we were the only ones there! This was an anomally, perhaps... but no complaints! We could have taken any space overlooking the beautiful reservoir, but chose instead to be by the bathroom, for obvious reasons and because that space was very level. Some of the other spaces were far from level, and we were tired! We could still see the water from our site and hear all the birds, which were abundant, including Pelicans and Blue Herons. Didn't have a Colorado State fishing license, but if we did, would have loved to fish in the reservoir. Bathroom and shower area were clean, but due to inactivity (I'm guessing) lots of dead bugs accumulated in the sinks and on the counters. Not an issue for me. The water was nice and hot! Laundry area was very nice. I suspect that our experience will probably not be very common, as I imagine this place sees quite a bit of use, but having the entire park to ourselves was a real treat! Getting to the Park was a bit out of the way, especially after a long days drive. Eh, you can't have it all. It's not like there are a ton of other camping opportunities in this area, so all things considered, I'd say it was a score! Verizon cell coverage was Ok, not great, but better than nothing.

Thumb canyonlands1 041
Ingrid
CO
31 Keystone Laredo

Ingrid would stay here again

“Relaxing”

Reviewed Sep 20, 2015

After several days of traveling, we were looking for a place to chill and relax before heading to Denver. We arrived on a Thursday without reservations. No ranger was on duty. We proceeded to find a spot without a 'reserved' tag on the post and set up in site #6 with a lovely view of the lake. Four hours later the camp host came by apologizing and informing us we would have to move. The ranger failed to place the reserved tags on the post that day. "No problem, we understand". The host had me jump in his vehicle as we looked at all the available sites for the weekend in the Elks Campground. Within 30 minutes hubby and I were moved and settled into site #49. Later that evening, the host came by with the most delicious SLAB of BBQ ribs. Over the next 2 hours we chatted over a few beers. Turns out this park almost always has sites available for drop-ins during the week as well as most weekends. It's a popular place with anglers and families. I was surprised to see white Pelicans and other interesting birds along the lakes shoreline. Since there aren't many trees around, there isn't much shade, but the vistas are beautiful. The town of Sterling is about 20 miles away with plenty of shopping including propane. Site #49 was sloped but well spaced from other sites. Our Site had 30amp electric and water spigots scattered throughout the park.

Thumb canyonlands1 041
Stinky Feet and a Bust

Whew!!!  The past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind, keeping hubby and me on our toes.  I’ll share more about our shenanigans in an upcoming post.  For today, I’ll focus on getting caught up on...

Buffalo Hills Campground