Question about Nomad View Dispersed Camping

felt0134 asked on 7/16/2020

Would it be realistic to camp without a tent at this site (just sleeping pad and bag)? Or would that be foolish. Passing through for one night.

Answered on 7/24/2020:

No worries, in my opinion.
Himmelbus
Ham Lake, MN
40' MCI MC9

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I saw plenty of tents there, many options for it. Only issue could be wind. You’ll want to use yours vehicle as a wind break.
Controlfreak
Buffalo, TX
29' Winnebago 2405RG
Chevrolet 2500HD

Answered on 7/19/2020:

You could and I think it’d be awesome. However be ready for all weather events. Thus saying, we went to bed with a clear sky only to wake to the sound of thunder and the lights of lightning. It rained for a bit then quit. So, be ready. Remember there are no amenities there. Water, toilet, etc.
RabbitDaddy
TN
17' Jayco 174bh
Ram 1500

Answered on 7/19/2020:

Depends on how well you can tolerate wind. Its quite windy.

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I’m sure you wouldn’t be the first. But you’ve got to keep in mind, it gets very windy there, there were a lot of flies, and you could quite possibly wake up with a bighorn sheep in your face. Falling asleep under the vast expanse of South Dakota night sky would be phenomenal though.
1bike
Minneapolis, MN
22' Roadtrek 210 Popular

Answered on 7/19/2020:

It does get windy there.

Answered on 7/19/2020:

You’d be absolutely out in the open, no trees or anything for cover or security. Plus the wildlife. I wouldn’t suggest it, although when I went I slept in my car!
Jason
OR
43' Jayco Northpoint 381FLWS
Ford F350 Dually

Answered on 7/19/2020:

No problem. I’ve seen many other tent campers in the area before. It can get windy though.
Voyagers On Wheels
Sioux Falls, SD
33' Winnebago 2008 Voyage

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I don't think so. Aside from the wildlife it can get very windy and storms can come up pretty fast. If you have a car and want to spread out in that I'd say sure, though. Just don't park too close to the edge.
Ufronia
Keystone summerland
Ford f150

Answered on 7/19/2020:

When we were there, July 2019, it was very windy and rained 2 of the 4 days we were there. Although it is beautiful, I think I would like 4 walls and a roof.
aearles
MI
41' Grand Design 367BHS
Ram 3500

Answered on 7/19/2020:

Lots of tall grass and critters, snakes and bighorn sheep in our campsite. There are a lot of places I’d camp without a tent but this probably isn’t one of them.
WhoKnowsWhere
33' Salem Travel Trailer

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I dont remember it being particularly buggy, but that's probably because it was insanely windy. You could easily find a clear flat spot. I wouldn't really say it's a good idea, but you could always try it and worst case move into your car if you need to.