Question about Nomad View Dispersed Camping

felt0134 asked on 7/16/2020

Would it be realistic to camp without a tent at this site (just sleeping pad and bag)? Or would that be foolish. Passing through for one night.

Thumb 2011 miscellaneous  1589
OneAddictedTraveler
Lake Elmo, MN 24' Pleasureway Plateau FL

Answered on 7/24/2020:

No worries, in my opinion.
Himmelbus
Ham Lake, MN 40' MCI MC9

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I saw plenty of tents there, many options for it. Only issue could be wind. You’ll want to use yours vehicle as a wind break.
Thumb 796e8be7 426f 42c2 91e2 00bb7d80e901
Controlfreak
Buffalo, TX 29' Winnebago 2405RG Chevrolet 2500HD

Answered on 7/19/2020:

You could and I think it’d be awesome. However be ready for all weather events. Thus saying, we went to bed with a clear sky only to wake to the sound of thunder and the lights of lightning. It rained for a bit then quit. So, be ready. Remember there are no amenities there. Water, toilet, etc.
Thumb dsc02643
RabbitDaddy
TN 17' Jayco 174bh Ram 1500

Answered on 7/19/2020:

Depends on how well you can tolerate wind. Its quite windy.

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I’m sure you wouldn’t be the first. But you’ve got to keep in mind, it gets very windy there, there were a lot of flies, and you could quite possibly wake up with a bighorn sheep in your face. Falling asleep under the vast expanse of South Dakota night sky would be phenomenal though.
Thumb img 20150530 172307
1bike
Minneapolis, MN 22' Roadtrek 210 Popular

Answered on 7/19/2020:

It does get windy there.

Answered on 7/19/2020:

You’d be absolutely out in the open, no trees or anything for cover or security. Plus the wildlife. I wouldn’t suggest it, although when I went I slept in my car!
Thumb the wall sd
Jason
OR 43' Jayco Northpoint 381FLWS Ford F350 Dually

Answered on 7/19/2020:

No problem. I’ve seen many other tent campers in the area before. It can get windy though.
Voyagers On Wheels
Sioux Falls, SD 33' Winnebago 2008 Voyage

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I don't think so. Aside from the wildlife it can get very windy and storms can come up pretty fast. If you have a car and want to spread out in that I'd say sure, though. Just don't park too close to the edge.
Ufronia
Keystone summerland Ford f150

Answered on 7/19/2020:

When we were there, July 2019, it was very windy and rained 2 of the 4 days we were there. Although it is beautiful, I think I would like 4 walls and a roof.
aearles
MI 41' Grand Design 367BHS Ram 3500

Answered on 7/19/2020:

Lots of tall grass and critters, snakes and bighorn sheep in our campsite. There are a lot of places I’d camp without a tent but this probably isn’t one of them.
WhoKnowsWhere
33' Salem Travel Trailer

Answered on 7/19/2020:

I dont remember it being particularly buggy, but that's probably because it was insanely windy. You could easily find a clear flat spot. I wouldn't really say it's a good idea, but you could always try it and worst case move into your car if you need to.
We need your help!
We depend on the support of the community for maintenance and development of the Campendium website. If everyone who visits Campendium today gave $1.50 we would hit our goal. Learn more about the 2020 Campendium Fundraiser all the ways you can support us: Subscribe Donate Purchase