Question about Nomad View Dispersed Camping

dedoug asked on 6/3/2020

Will my 16 ft travel trailer be safe there if I unhook her and go into Badlands NP? I will put a hitch lock on her.

elkhunter5619
ND 34' Newmar country star

Answered on 7/18/2020:

Well it's probably a pretty good idea before you posted this and everybody gave their answers that they all do it just tipped off the bad guy LOL. My opinion never leave your camper anywhere for very long if you're by yourself. More campers the better and they say never make it known that you live in your camper somebody sees a sign that says this is where our house is where we park it they figure you're going to have more in there if you don't have a house

Answered on 6/8/2020:

I camped here for 5 days with no issues. In fact, I have camped on public lands all over the country for the last 2.5 years and have never had an issue. I am confident your camper and its belongings will be safe.
Thumb win 20140811 134417
DMR
Jordan, MN 13' Scamp Trailers 13' Standard Chevrolet Truck

Answered on 6/5/2020:

I think you will be ok campers are good people they will leave it alone or keep an eye on it. Its also pertty wide open no trees for the bad one to hide. Also if you like try Buget Host Inn in Interor, SD they are on the south end if the Badlands they have full hookups and showers. Make sure to try 100 year old pancakes. Its just an oppion not free. Four stars when we stayed 10 years ago.

Answered on 6/5/2020:

Yes. Any size rig will fit. Park anywhere. I was unhooked for a week as others and went into town. Very windy some times.
Thumb 4fe0a26c 2a52 4998 9696 605a9b44b992
MT50
NM 36' Tiffin Phaeton 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Answered on 6/4/2020:

When we were there it was pretty busy. We left our Class A for the day and drove through Bad Lands NP, which I suspect a lot of people do. We did not really feel any apprehension in doing so. It is always important to take a look at the situation for yourself and make that determination. If you feel uneasy it is alway better to go with your assessment. Now regarding winds they are real our 33,000 lb Class A was rocking so much during one storm we brought the slides in to help protect the slide topers. There are sites that are not right on the cliff which might help a smaller rig. Enjoy this was one of our favorite spots to camp.

Answered on 6/4/2020:

My guess would be yes. But crazy stuff happens. A freak storm could come through the area and blow your trailer over the cliff. A bison might charge it. Who knows.
Good Wayne Hunting
23' Sonic 190VRB 2015 Ford F-150

Answered on 6/4/2020:

I would say yes, absolutely. I stayed there for about week and a half to two weeks with a 19 foot travel trailer. It was the first site where I did dispersed camping and I really enjoyed it. I meant a lot of great people doing the same. We kept an eye on each others rigs when we ventured out, though there really wasn't cause for it, just a neighborly gesture. I kept in contact with one of the people I met there. It's a great location for dispersed camping. Free dump station and water on SD highways, so no need to pay. Your neighbors will even save your spot while you make a resupply run if you ask.
Ufronia
Keystone summerland Ford f150

Answered on 6/4/2020:

in 2019 we stayed there 5 days, and went to Wall, Badlands, and The Minute Man Missile site and all was safe. We do have a hitch lock on our camper though. It is a beautiful spot, we had a triple rainbow one night.

Answered on 6/4/2020:

We stayed there for a week and felt it was a very safe area. I wouldn't think there would be an issue to leave your travel trailer behind while you go out for the day. btw...definitely heed the advice on planning to go in/out while the ground is dry. If you go in the summer though, the hot sun bakes the ground pretty quickly after a rain.
Thumb 20190831 085717
BrandywineFarm
Gainesboro, TN 9' Adventurer 810ws Ford F350 dwd

Answered on 6/4/2020:

I believe so. Many people are just overnighters there and the sites are spread out. The ends are less travelled but it get rougher.
Thumb 37fd05d0 83ce 48e2 81a5 d89771e0c550
Restless N@tive
Tallahassee, FL 18' NüCamp 400 Boondock Lite Ford F150

Answered on 6/3/2020:

I spent nearly a week there and wasn’t concerned. It’s quite an adventure getting up to the ridge but once you are up there it’s worth it. Always use a hitch lock. Easy drive both into the park and Wall for supplies and restaurants.
Thumb dsc02643
RabbitDaddy
TN 17' Jayco 174bh Ram 1500

Answered on 6/3/2020:

Yes. Many people leave their trailers there during the day and do the same.
Voyagers On Wheels
Sioux Falls, SD 33' Winnebago 2008 Voyage

Answered on 6/3/2020:

I would say so. We left our class A there all day. It's quiet with only other boondockers there.
Thumb 24243d5e f24e 45de afc9 9a5e10478e8a
MJ
Golden, CO 23' Nash Ford

Answered on 6/3/2020:

That’s what we did with ours last summer and we had no problems. This was one of our best camping experiences ever – enjoy!!!
WhoKnowsWhere
33' Salem Travel Trailer

Answered on 6/3/2020:

Yes, this is off the beaten path and really only used by other people camping. I left my camper here for a full day twice, also with a hitch lock
Thumb 2011 miscellaneous  1589
OneAddictedTraveler
Lake Elmo, MN 24' Pleasureway Plateau FL

Answered on 6/3/2020:

My guess is yes it would be fine.

Answered on 6/3/2020:

Yes, it is a very safe and beautiful place to Boondock
Thumb img 20180601 160455 2
Judy
GA 30' KZ Spree 2015 Ram 1500

Answered on 6/3/2020:

Yes. We left our camper and went into the park as well as the city and felt quite comfortable doing it. We didn't leave things out though that would be easily carried away.
Thumb img 20180601 160455 2
Judy
GA 30' KZ Spree 2015 Ram 1500

Teddi & Roger
Kent, WA 33' Trop-i-cal T330 Honda CRV

Answered on 6/3/2020:

We left our motorhome multiple times during our stay in2016 and never had any issues. We saw more bighorn sheep than people during our stay, although I believe the area has gotten quite popular so that might have changed. It's a beautiful area, enjoy!
Thumb opa and oma logo
Ridgekid
Box Elder, SD 28' Keystone Cougar 2016 GMC 2500HD

Answered on 6/3/2020:

Yes. We did the same thing while we were there.
OGGWild
OH 30' Outdoors RV Black Rock 23BKS Ram 2500

Answered on 6/3/2020:

You should be as safe there as anywhere else. I'm in my third year of full time boondocking and have never had a problem. It's always a good idea to scope out your surroundings beforehand. I would have felt safe leaving my rig when I was there. Having said that, I have been places where I would not have left my rig unattended based on the "clientele". Google or do a Facebook search for "Nomad View theft" to see if anything pops up. If there is a systemic problem at any location, you can bet people would post about it.
Gundog
Box Elder, SD 30' Keystone Laredo 274RB Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD diesel

Answered on 6/3/2020:

I think so. I believe most of the people camping there keep an eye out for other campers. If you are concerned about your trailer being stolen, run a cable lock through the wheels.
Thumb img 20150530 172307
1bike
Minneapolis, MN 22' Roadtrek 210 Popular

Answered on 6/3/2020:

I would think so. It is a very quiet place when we were there.
Thumb busdog
PookieAndTheBear
38' Fleetwood Pace Arrow 1977 Volkswagen Bus

Answered on 6/3/2020:

We left our motorhome while we explored with our car.
We need your help!
We depend on the support of the community for maintenance and development of the Campendium website. If everyone who visits Campendium today gave $1.50 we would hit our goal. Learn more about the 2020 Campendium Fundraiser all the ways you can support us: Subscribe Donate Purchase