Niland Boat Ramp
|Last Price Paid:||$0|
27 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Truck
“Free but pretty rough”
Reviewed Apr 17, 2016
Don’t really want to be negative and put you off… but… Afraid to say this location – while free – has too many ‘negatives’ to make it worthwhile, unless you’re used to Roughing It.
1) It’s a slightly raised stony area occupied by 4 or 5 permanent ex-RV’s or trailers that look like the kind of habitats for hermits. A couple sport American Flags, but place was dead and unoccupied when we were there (Mid April).
2) It got very hot while there and while we laid down for a nap, a private truck appeared (only humanoid lifeform observed in 24hrs) and stopped right by our nose, a white middle-aged guy looked as if he’d get out to ‘have words’ (we stayed out of sight) but just watched our RV for a whole minute, then drove away. He didn’t return with a posse to run us out of town as expected… Wife didn't feel safe here.
3) It smelt of fish but not unbearably so; just a strong seaside smell. Beach is alternate dead fish, muddy ‘sand’ and ¼ inch shells, like walking on popcorn. Curious but not a beach to spend the day on…
4) A few run-down cabins and concrete buildings nearby.
5) We drove to the nearest ‘State Beach’ to find a ‘better place’ to justify some Rver’s liking for Salton Sea, and went to Bombay Beach 5 miles away. The ‘State Beach’ location was nothing – literally, gone, just bare soil. The 'village' had a general store and was part occupied (old people? using golf carts), temporary/mobile home buildings, most run down, many broken-down shells or skeletons. It reminded me of TV views post-Hurricane Katrina. A sign warned of occasional wave surges, maybe they’ve recently suffered one.
6) Maybe State Beaches further northwest are ‘better’ (but for a fee) but all this didn’t endear me to Salton Sea despite wanting to give it a chance.
This review is the opinion of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com
Have you written a blog post
about Niland Boat Ramp?
- dry camping
- Dispersed Camping
Owners, contact us to update your listing.
Slab City, California
Slab City, California