McGee Creek Campground

Max Length: 34 ft

AT&T
Philbert
CA Subaru Forester

Philbert would stay here again

“Near Fly Fishing Mecca”

Reviewed Jun 16, 2019

I came here alone, no my dogs did not go. McGee Creek Campground is a short uphill drive off of US 395 between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop. It's far away enough from 395 and is set among the Aspens. Site 27 is situated at the banks of McGee Creek. There is a hump from the car parking to the site. Carrying my RTIC 65 loaded with beer, food and ice was not fun but manageable. Site 26 and 27 seem to be more private and like all the sites there, a shade shelter is provided. People were draping tarps on the shelter, and I even saw a hammock hanging from one. The place has flush toilets which is an obvious plus and the restrooms are not lit at night so it's not shining in your tent when trying to sleep or watch the stars.

If you like fly fishing, this location seems ideal. It's close to the Upper Owens, Hot Creek, McGee Creek, Lake Crowley and just a short drive south to fishing in Bishop including the Lower Owens.

I will definitely return but grab site 26 instead. The cost per night is 27 but I reserved online and paid an additional 8 service fee.

I have Verizon. At times I was 3G and sometimes in the evening I was seeing LTE.

Thumb macbetrippin
MacBeTrippin
Waxahachie, TX 24' Starcraft Starmaster 2003 Honda Pilot

MacBeTrippin would stay here again

“My favorite spot on a 3-week journey”

Reviewed Jul 05, 2017

We were on a 3-week family vacation to California and back. We planned to stay at Glass Creek National Campground about 20 minutes north of where we ended up. After deciding we didn't like the spots, we ended up here by accident.

The camp host, Sheryl, was more than happy to help us locate an available spot. There were suppose to be campers at both sites near us, but neither showed for their reservations. The "high altitude" campground is at around 8,400 feet in elevation. It was in a shallow canyon surrounded by mountains all the way around. It was beautiful.

The first night our kids were thrilled when a deer wandered a few feet from our picnic table, following the edge of the creek. The covered picnic tables were great sunshade during the brief full sun hours of the day. And the bear boxes were conveniently located so that I had everything nearby when cooking at the campfire.

Because of the amount of snow melt this year, the creek was fast moving. That was heavenly, because the only noise during our visit was the sound of rushing water and the birds. At the same time, there were trees separating the campsite from the water, which was a good thing for our small children. We had added entertainment when the local hatchery came by to load a few nets of trout into the creek by our campsite.

The area is know for its wildflowers. So, there was plenty to appreciate and take pictures of.

The bathrooms were well cared for. Some of the sites were level, although ours was pretty uneven since we just grabbed a site that happened to be available. But, it wasn't a big deal.

If cell reception is important for you, that might be a downside. We use AT&T and couldn't get any sort of reception. But, if you go back down the hill and about a mile up the road toward Mammoth Lakes, you can get reception. For us, the ability to completely disconnect was a plus.

There was a nice espresso joint in town that also does wine tastings if you're so inclined.

While we were there, we discovered that we needed new tires on our camper ASAP. There weren't any shops in Mammoth Lakes that could help quickly. But, the owner at Simpson Tire in Bishop, CA was terrific. We called before heading over and he said, "Come on, we'll get you taken care of." We pulled in on our way east, and in less than an hour we were back on the road.

AT&T 3G
AT&T Voice Only

about McGee Creek Campground?

• firewood

Crowley lake
Crowley Lake Campground
BLM
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Mcgee creek rv park campground
McGee Creek RV Park & Campground