Martin Creek Lake State Park
State Parkwrite a review 9515 County Road 2181D
Tatum, TX 75691
GPS: 32.2756, -94.5713
|Number of Sites:||52|
“OK - there's an island”
Reviewed Jan 01, 2016
I feel a little bad for giving this a 3 because this park was not terrible, just a little run down, and overrun with locals out fishing for the day. I guess I'm a little greedy about wanting the place to myself, and although I don't begrudge local folks enjoying their state park, it's a pretty small place for so many people. That said, it was nice seeing families out enjoying themselves. I stayed at the smaller loop hoping for a quieter area, more on that later. Here's the rundown of the positives and not so positives about Martin Creek:
- There's a footbridge, heavily used by fisher-folk, over to a nice little island that was a fun walk.
- Some of the sites in the larger loop have covered picnic tables, but the smaller area where I stayed did not.
- Gorgeous, towering, East Texas pine trees throughout
- Apparently there is very good fishing because the water stays warm all year long, more on that later.
- It's a bit hard to find - I didn't see any signs off the highway or nearby. I was definitely happy to have GPS!
- Supposedly the island is for tent camping but all the sites I saw were pretty run down and trashy.
- Overall, there are not enough trash cans available for the amount of traffic the park gets.
- The rv sites are a bit tricky because they are all back-ins with deep-ish ditches on either side of the narrow driveway. Definitely recruit a spotter - I didn't and had to take it very slow and get out a bunch of times.
- The clincher on the minus side....there's a big, lit up, noisy power plant on the lake, opposite the fishing bridge/island/camp sites. I mean bright, and noisy all night long (actually it's the lignite mining that makes all the noise). The water stays warm all year because of the plant.
So there it is - camping among the towering Texas pines with a coal plant clanging in the background. It's there if you need it but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time at this state park!
This review is the opinion of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com
Have you written a blog post
about Martin Creek Lake State Park?
- 50 Amp
- 30 Amp
- 20 Amp
- Partial Hookups
- boat ramp
- boat rental
- picnic area
- recreation trail
- water access
- big rig
- fire ring
- picnic table
- dump station
- restrooms: flush
- water available
Owners, contact us to update your listing.
Long Branch, TX