Maple Grove Campsite
American Electric Power Recreation Landwrite a review 7580 St. Rt. 284
McConnelsville, OH 43756
GPS: 39.7068, -81.725
|Last Price Paid:||$0|
Cell Phone Coverage
heideb17 would stay here again
“You get what you pay for, or don't pay for!”
Reviewed Jan 30, 2018
Pretty decent site for being free. Campground is easily accessible off of St Rt 284 and is relatively small in size with 10 sites. A few sites are large enough to accommodate RV's and campers. When we camped in late January, there were about 5 other campers there at the time; we were the only ones in tents.
Camp host was extremely hospitable and offered us free firewood as they had a surplus; cant beat free warmth when it is 20 outside!
Downsides of these sites:
- There is a lot of muddy ground. Pack extra tarps if you will be heading down after rain or snow melt.
- Not every site was in the same condition. We were lucky to find a site with an intact fire ring and picnic table. Other sites around us looked like the rocks from their fire rings had been used to make other fire rings, and their picnic tables were run down.
- Water is turned off in the winter, or at least it was off when we were there in late January. If you are coming down in "non-peak" season you may want to bring your own water.
- Sites are not as secluded as they are at Sand Hollow down the road. You can see all other sites from any site in the campground here (BUT IT'S FREE!!!)
Tips for these sites:
- If you are picky about pit toilets, this may not be the place for you. All of the AEP campgrounds have pit toilets, and you may want to bring your own TP as it may not always have some. I bring my own TP on trips so this was not an issue for us.
- Come early in the day (shortly before or shortly after noon) if you want to get a good plot with a view. Some plots have a better location than others, and these sites are gobbled up quickly. If coming in spring/summer, it would be a good idea to come early as these sites are first come first serve.
Bottom line: if you are looking for a free place to pitch your tent for a night, or a quick camping get-away on the cheap, don't pass this up.
This review is the opinion of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com
Have you written a blog post
about Maple Grove Campsite?
- dry camping
- picnic area
- picnic table
- restrooms: vault
- water available
Owners, contact us to update your listing.
Blue Rock, Ohio