Manzano Mountains State Park

Mountainair, NM 87036
505-469-7608

Max Length: 40 ft

Sprint 3G

CherylB would stay here again

“Quiet, star-lit, lovely place to camp in the whispering pines.”

Reviewed Nov 28, 2017

The sites are generous. There is no river or lake or anything like that, so it's a dusty place. Pines and other trees and lovely walking trails that are well-marked and not at all strenuous. Some sites have electric, others are primitive. Gravel parking for your RV and tow vehicle. Nice fire rings, charcoal bbq grills, tables (some sites have shelters over the tables, but then the tables are square rather than rectangular.)

No water at any of the sites, but spigots at various places. There is a dump station and a spigot for drinking water (even late in the season). There are restrooms but no showers. I never went inside the restrooms. There is a group shelter area for group camping or a large event. The group shelter has electricity and two huge charcoal bbq grills.

It's a sweet place, really. Birds and squirrels are all I saw as far as wildlife. Well, I saw one bunny while walking along a trail but no deer or bear or anything. It's a lovely place. Come check it out sometime! Oh! And there is a cell tower on the hillside leading up to this park, so I've had excellent cell and jetpack service. :) Important to me.

One thing to note: It's 17 miles to Mountainair, which is a one-horse town. I call it "Dustyair." You can get filled up with propane at the hardware store and do your laundry across the street. There's a very small grocery store, a saloon (it's a dry town, apparently) and a few other shops. They must have a gas station but I couldn't figure out where they were hiding it.

OH! And this park is not in Mountainair, as it says on some websites. It is in Manzano, NM. Very important. You don't want to go to Mountainair unless you have to. ;) [I was told it is in Manzano by the camp host when I called to make sure it was easy to find via GPS.]

** I want to add that I camped here the last two weeks of November and they are closing for the season on December 4th. At other times of the year, it would likely be a different experience.

Thumb capture
GJB

17 Casita Freedom
2012 Ford F150
“What a great state park in the pines! ”

Reviewed Sep 09, 2016

Twelve of us (my outdoor ladies group) stayed 2 nights - 6 of us in travel trailers and 6 in tents. The park was quiet and very clean. There were several short hikes in and around the park and we enjoyed the longest of the hike (around the park) that was less than 3 miles total. There is a group campsite area also which several of the sites could hold larger RVs, but with no hook-ups. The group site had a large pavilion, but the only restrooms were in the "regular" campsites. The hosts were very friendly and nice. A few of the sites had a shelter around their tables, but my site did not. The only thing I didn't like about my site was the fact that the table was on the wrong side - opposite where my trailer door is located.

Sprint 3G

about Manzano Mountains State Park?

Forest road 253
Forest Road 253
Torreon, New Mexico
Red canyon campground cibola nf
Red Canyon Campground